5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

preferred intake manifolds for my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

Default preferred intake manifolds for my car

so i have a 1995 gt and i am looking to upgrade the intake manifold. i have a cold air intake leading into a 75mm throttle body and then into the stock manifold and stock engine. on the exhaust i just have the stock headers, an o/r x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series. i want to get the biggest bump up in hp possible without harming the engine. what would any of you suggest? and is this a job that would be possible to do by myself instead of spending the money for a garage to do it? i have put the throttle body, cold air intake, and x-pipe on myself, is this another step up in installing skills?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

a intake is a pretty easy install, but remember on sn's you need an elbow adapter. i have my edelbrock rpm II i'm prolly gonna put on mine once i put the new motor in
but i've heard really good stuff about the trickflow intakes.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

i heard to stay away from the trickflow, but how much of a difference should i feel without tuning if i just put on the intake and the elbow?, and would i need an intake plenum? or would that just help more?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Holley Systemax II
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctlazersplaya07
i heard to stay away from the trickflow, but how much of a difference should i feel without tuning if i just put on the intake and the elbow?, and would i need an intake plenum? or would that just help more?
where in the WORLD did you hear to stay away from trickflow?!?!
i was told just putting a better intake on a sn is supposed to give us about 20 hp. i'm not saying that's for sure, just what i was told. and i'm assuming by plenum, you mean intake spacer? if so i've never bothered with em
Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If you want to keep the best overall power with the engine you have now I'd install a Trickflow Street heat. It makes better power than the Edelbrock Performer or Holley System Max. If you plan on upgrade to better heads and cam in the near future I'd move into the Edelbrock RPMII. In the "Right Now" The TF Street Heat is your best option. IMO

Be realistic about what you want to do. You can either impress your friends when you pop the hood or impress them while you leave them in the dust.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

i definitely do not care what it looks like, i want the car to be fast, not flashy. and maybe i was misinformed when i was told to stay away from trickflow. so if i put the trickflow on i will feel a bit of a push in hp?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctlazersplaya07
i definitely do not care what it looks like, i want the car to be fast, not flashy. and maybe i was misinformed when i was told to stay away from trickflow. so if i put the trickflow on i will feel a bit of a push in hp?
You will feel a torque differance in the seat of your pants. Just don't expect a huge jump in power from an intake swap alone. It's a good first upgrade though.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

okay... and if i wanted to feel a bigger bump in hp should i look into cams and heads?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

heads will give you the biggest power increase...but everything must be matched intake,cam,etc... to realize maximum h.p. and torque and with your 95 a tune is always a good idea imo.

Quick Reply: preferred intake manifolds for my car