5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Helping a friend with a carbed H/C/I

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Doesn't have to be too budget oriented, I'm sure he'll save enough money using a 302 he already has. As for the cam it was just the first one I picked, I was going to suggest a custom one for him. The AFRs don't really seem to out flow the canfield ones until the valve lift is .500 and over, if they are the same price why would they be better than the canfield ones? Just curious.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...ock/index.html

perhaps you can use some info this build.

The engine will be spinning in the red to reach it.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Projectquick
Doesn't have to be too budget oriented, I'm sure he'll save enough money using a 302 he already has. As for the cam it was just the first one I picked, I was going to suggest a custom one for him. The AFRs don't really seem to out flow the canfield ones until the valve lift is .500 and over, if they are the same price why would they be better than the canfield ones? Just curious.
When it comes to AFR heads Ive never seen any other heads flow more consistant numbers than AFR. When they tell you a head will flow 300 cfm@,500 lift you can count on it from port to port. Hands down the best heads I've ever had on the flow bench. Ive seen other big name brands vary as much as 20 cfm. When every cyl gets the same charge it makes more power.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Ah, then I guess I'll be recommending the AFRs for him.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i just traded my twisted wedges for a new set of afr 185's and they look nice and i have been talking to other people and afr and i am excited to get them bolted down on my 351

the other thing is that if your buddy is using a stock rotating assembly with the stock pistons 99.0% chance of hitting a valve , must notch pistons or use different ones
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

dbl post

Last edited by Rajun_Cajun; 12-15-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aode08
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...ock/index.html

perhaps you can use some info this build.

The engine will be spinning in the red to reach it.

"The piston pinholes are offset (note the difference between dimensions A and B). Sherman says installing the piston “backward” with the notch facing toward the rear as shown is worth 15-30 hp, albeit at the price of increased noise when the engine is cold."

That quote was on the left side of the article with the pics. Anyone know anything about that? Does it hold true? And what kind of noise are we talking about here?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
i just traded my twisted wedges for a new set of afr 185's and they look nice and i have been talking to other people and afr and i am excited to get them bolted down on my 351

the other thing is that if your buddy is using a stock rotating assembly with the stock pistons 99.0% chance of hitting a valve , must notch pistons or use different ones
So either way the rotating assembly has to come out of the block? What would be a good choice for an aftermarket piston to help bump up the CR? I figure if you gotta take them out, might as well get something better than stock.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

No it doesnt. There is a toll to flycut the pistons when they are still in the block.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

But as I understand flycutting the pistons can throw off the balance if too much material is taken out, and it also weakens the pistons.

Quick Reply: Helping a friend with a carbed H/C/I