5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What Next?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roghoge
Ok, is there any othere pieces i would need to buy to install the headers? I would probably also buy a throttle body since id have left over money (if i go with the 99 dollar summits), im guessing a 65 mm would be better since i dont have many mods?
You would need gaskets and maybe some stage 8 locking bolts. I don't know if a throttle body would do much for you. I would go with mac underdrive pulleys instead of a throttle body.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

How is the install for the underdrive pulleys? Would someone who is unexperienced be able to do it?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

How is the install for the underdrive pulleys? Would someone who is unexperienced be able to do it?
Its not the hard but you would need a puller to remove the pullys. IDK if a parts store like autozone loans them or not.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

I'll have to check that, if not I can just see the install cost at a garage and get it done that way, just have to say up for a little before I get it installed.

You said something about gaskets and locking bolts, would this have everything i need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Here is a video that may help you. Even though it is on a Mod it is still the same principle. http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...o-install.html
Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I'll have to check that, if not I can just see the install cost at a garage and get it done that way, just have to say up for a little before I get it installed.

You said something about gaskets and locking bolts, would this have everything i need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Those don't have locking bolts but you may get by with those.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
Its not the hard but you would need a puller to remove the pullys. IDK if a parts store like autozone loans them or not.
You dont need a puller to install underdrives. The only pulley you would need a puller for is the power steering and that has nothing to do with the underdrives. You would need an impact wrench to get the alternator nut off though, but alot of people does'nt run the underdrive alternater pulley (including myself) because of charging problems. Also you would need a different lenght belt with the underdrives.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 15austin
You dont need a puller to install underdrives. The only pulley you would need a puller for is the power steering and that has nothing to do with the underdrives. You would need an impact wrench to get the alternator nut off though, but alot of people does'nt run the underdrive alternater pulley (including myself) because of charging problems. Also you would need a different lenght belt with the underdrives.
I thought some came with a new balancer but I guess that is just for the 4.6 mustangs, thats why I said you need a puller.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Well, I'll probably just go with the headers for now and find out how much it will cost for a garage around here to do the underdrives, knowing me i'd mess something up.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Well, I'll probably just go with the headers for now and find out how much it will cost for a garage around here to do the underdrives, knowing me i'd mess something up.
I was wrong on the underdrive's, you don't need a puller. As geico would say "It so easy a caveman could do it." The underdrive would be a lot easier to install than the header's. Even steeda says it is easy http://www.steeda.com

Search this Thread