5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mark VIII Fan Fitment Question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default Mark VIII Fan Fitment Question..

Don't know if any of you will even be able to help me out :\ My car's in storage right now so I can't even go look at it to check fitment, pulling it out of storage in a month or so to drop the new heart in.

Anyways, I'm running a BeCool Rad in the car, core's 2 1/4 thick, I don't even know what the thickness of stock is, claims 1", but don't know what it actually is, just like my BeCool claimed to be 2". Anyways. I'm looking to put a Mark VIII fan in to replace my Taurus one, as the Taurus one blew nuts to say the least, couldn't even cool my mildly modified 302.

How much room is there between the stock rad and water pump? Is there enough room to squeeze a Mark VIII in there with the 2 1/4" core?

Even if someone with the Mark VIII fan could give me a rough measurement of how much room you have with the stock rad that'd help me out greatly
Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

just a wuestion on the taurus fan, was it the correct model fan and did you wire the low speed or high speed side?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

First i want to say i had an 86 ex banger with a 429 and a C6 that a taurus fan had no problem cooling.I would look over your cooling system somethings not right some where.

As for the mark fan it barely fits mine and i have a 3 core modine and UD pullies.I belive you would have an issue using the stock brackets for the radiator.

Just out of curiosity how did you wire up your fan?Did you fuse it and also use a relay?If not thats a big problem with these types of fans since they draw so much current.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I had to trim mine down some so I took it as far down as I could. I am also using stock rad mounts to.
Attached Thumbnails Mark VIII Fan Fitment Question..-fan-install-2-.jpg  
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
just a wuestion on the taurus fan, was it the correct model fan and did you wire the low speed or high speed side?
Correct model, high speed side

Originally Posted by Modular_Madness96
First i want to say i had an 86 ex banger with a 429 and a C6 that a taurus fan had no problem cooling.I would look over your cooling system somethings not right some where.

As for the mark fan it barely fits mine and i have a 3 core modine and UD pullies.I belive you would have an issue using the stock brackets for the radiator.

Just out of curiosity how did you wire up your fan?Did you fuse it and also use a relay?If not thats a big problem with these types of fans since they draw so much current.
I wired it to the high and use the DCC to control it, runs on high almost all the time, idling runs about 70%, driving in the city runs 100% then on the highway it overheats in about 5 miles. My cooling system is operating properly, might just be the condenser being plugged up. May be getting rid of the condenser when i put the new motor in, might just dump A/C, if not i'm buying a new condenser at the very least.

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I had to trim mine down some so I took it as far down as I could. I am also using stock rad mounts to.
That's the stock rad is it not? Doesn't look like you have an inch of clearance between the fan an the W/P do you? My rad's 2 1/4" at the core, 3" overall, so it's quite a bit bigger than factory, that's my main concern
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea its a stock radiator and yes I have less than an inch of clearance but I also have my fan centered on my radiator. If I was to move it one way or another I would have a little more room. If you loose the stock mounts and move the radiator all the way forward you should have about an extra inch of clearance. But it looks like you may have to go with an aftermarket fan with your radiator.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Yea its a stock radiator and yes I have less than an inch of clearance but I also have my fan centered on my radiator. If I was to move it one way or another I would have a little more room. If you loose the stock mounts and move the radiator all the way forward you should have about an extra inch of clearance. But it looks like you may have to go with an aftermarket fan with your radiator.
Perfect, thank you very much. Not trying to be cheap at all with the fan, I just wanted something that would pull air. Oh well guess I'm gonna be buyin the BeCool duals
Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
Correct model, high speed side

I wired it to the high and use the DCC to control it, runs on high almost all the time, idling runs about 70%, driving in the city runs 100% then on the highway it overheats in about 5 miles. My cooling system is operating properly, might just be the condenser being plugged up. May be getting rid of the condenser when i put the new motor in, might just dump A/C, if not i'm buying a new condenser at the very least.
if you are overheating in 5 miles or less, your fan isnt the issue. The fan only makes a cooling difference when sitting for long periods of time. You need to flow test your radiator and double check your water pump and thermostat!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
if you are overheating in 5 miles or less, your fan isnt the issue. The fan only makes a cooling difference when sitting for long periods of time. You need to flow test your radiator and double check your water pump and thermostat!
No thermostat in it, cut that out as it would over-heat even quicker, just cut the center out of it so there still is a restriction to waterflow, so it would have time to cool in the rad. Water pump and rad don't matter to me anyway, water pump is working properly though, regardless, new motor has new water pump and a new BeCool rad in front of it. Really all I was trying to figure out is clearance for the MK VIII fan :P I just want this motor to stay cool is all, the motor is worth a few grand more than one of the brand new cars I bought in May to put it lightly.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

sorry, no way in hell is the fan the problem if you overheat on the highway. if you dont believe us, get a new fan and i promise you that your car will continue to overheat