5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Years GIFT :) and a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
96blackbetty

Default New Years GIFT :) and a few ?s

tore down the engine today.....to my surprise......60 over pistons! Popped off the oil pan, fresh .20 crank and bearings Guy before me must have run out of money when he got to the top end....stock e7s and stock intake ftl.....aftermarket cam tho, unsure of what size.

Anyways, on to the tech questions. I really have no choice but to go with 1.7s cuz thats all I have. In a previous thread I was recommended the trickflow stage one cam. Will I need a higher stall converter for that cam?

Cuz it is not in my budget, if so I'll just stick with the cam thats in it. I have 4.10s and aod. Gt40 heads are going back on this motor. Those prolly don't even do the bottom end justice, but gotta save up before I throw some afrs on it

Stock intake is going back on but a gt40 or cobra intake will come shortly

Also, what ci is my motor? I know being 60 over is 312? Is it a 312? or is that a stroker crank in it as well?

Oh yea, and pics will be coming shortly in this thread of what I got.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Wink

Hello and Welcome.

Slow Down here and learn a few things.

1. .060 is very bad for any windsor, the block is at its bare min and cant be bored any more.

2. You have more displacement that will account for about 15 HP and 8 more torque.

3.You don't know what cam you have is bad, putting 1.7's will add another .030 to that cam and probably smack the valves into the piston and ruin the motor.

Go TFS -1 , 1.6, 3,500 stall and short tubes(you have an AOD).

The smile will never come off your face
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM
96blackbetty

Yes I realize the bore being 60 over is at the edge....but what I got is what I got....this is a very fresh rebuild, obviously done by a shop as they marked the pistons.

1.7s aren't to be added, they were already on the e7s....comps I believe...and they are HUGE.....bigger than the oe 1.7s on the gt40s I have...and big enough to need taller valve covers as one was hitting the oil tube.

with I was wondering what displacement my motor was with the 60 over and 20 over crank.....

It is a very mild cam from what I can tell...prolly not much more than stock, but doesn't appear stock. More lobes to it than a stock one from what I can see. Idle was hardly noticible.

And I'd love to get a stall but it's just not happening with my budget, and this car has to be up and running by the 12th before I go back to school, I hate to half do it but I gotta do what I gotta do

My question is, leave the cam in it alone, get a trickflow stage 1, and I could prolly horse trade with a guy and get some 1.6s....that is a possiblity but not definite
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Your engine is 310.709 CID
Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 PM
96blackbetty

thanks.....I was thinkin just off the top of my head it would be 310 or 312, wasn't sure tho because of the crank.

Ne one wanna give me some advice on this cam situation? I shouldn't need new lifters either should I?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

a 20 over crank doesn't add d1ck. It just means that your crank's bearing journals have been machined for oversized bearings.

If you buy a new cam get new lifters if you don't know how old they are. No reason to scar up a new cam just bc you were to cheap or lazy to buy lifters. I would guess you still have a stock cam if you have stock heads and a stock intake. The trick flow stage 1 is a great cam to have.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 AM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

sounds like ya got a remaned motor from some company like jasper since it still has stock heads
Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by symonds86
sounds like ya got a remaned motor from some company like jasper since it still has stock heads
...or as stated...someone ran out of money!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
96blackbetty

best I can figure either the last owner ran out of money......or he did the old switcheroo when he went to sell it to the dealership or auction (bought at dealer)....this engine was very recently gone through.

Thanks project resto.....I simply did not know if it added anything at all

I can't imagine someone boring it 60 over.....putting new pistons and rods, new bearings, all the associated machine work.....and leaving the crank stock.....doesn't make much sense to me.....btw it is a ford block....87 I believe....see I bought the car with it leaking tranny fluid.....turns out the tranny was shot.....sounds like someone put all their money in the motor, then the tranny went out so they sold it.

The bottom end is pretty as all.....I'll try to get as detailed pics tonite as I possibly can.

I may pull the lifters and see what kind of condition they are in as well.....if they are in the same condition as the rest of the bottom end, I won't have to worry bout them. It even has brand new brass freeze plugs in it. the cylinders look fresh....

I may just bolt on those gt40s and go for right now, cuz I need this car back by the 12th and I'm working with a budget....
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by aode08
Hello and Welcome.

Slow Down here and learn a few things.

1. .060 is very bad for any windsor, the block is at its bare min and cant be bored any more.

2. You have more displacement that will account for about 15 HP and 8 more torque.

3.You don't know what cam you have is bad, putting 1.7's will add another .030 to that cam and probably smack the valves into the piston and ruin the motor.

Go TFS -1 , 1.6, 3,500 stall and short tubes(you have an AOD).

The smile will never come off your face

Quick Reply: New Years GIFT :) and a few ?s