5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cracked oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

I always wondered about welding on an oil pan. It won't catch fire or anything?

Well I guess there's not much for oxygen inside the pan to fuel a fire.

So basically you can just drain it, clean it and weld it?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:10 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by pastfast125
I always wondered about welding on an oil pan. It won't catch fire or anything?

Well I guess there's not much for oxygen inside the pan to fuel a fire.

So basically you can just drain it, clean it and weld it?
the issue is the prep...if its rusted badly you cant prep it...if you have a nice new oil pan and crack it then sure weld it up, but on an old pan that doesnt work, you would weld on top of rust and it wont hold
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

You really don't find many rusty oil pans. Most of them you can clean, prep with a scotchbrite pad and weld it up. The trick with an oil pan is not to burn through when doing a patch panel. The best thing to do is replace the pan
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Portmaster
You really don't find many rusty oil pans. Most of them you can clean, prep with a scotchbrite pad and weld it up. The trick with an oil pan is not to burn through when doing a patch panel. The best thing to do is replace the pan
i must have ****ty luck then... my f150 and my probe both had the oil pans rust out from the inside... i had rust holes in them and it dripped all over, bad enough to need to replace them
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

never heard of a rusted oil pan either... I live in the salty North east and the oil pan on my car is spotless...

I suggest the Jb weld

and steer clear of chrome oil pans... they hold in heat, are cheap... and really, chrome? who the hell is gonna see it?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

my oil pan isn't rusted at all. I guess I'll try JB welding, if that doesn't work then I'll weld it.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I've never seen one rust from the inside out. But then again I see something new on a daily basis,lol
Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 PM
kurazee

Well, I am halfway through the oil pan swap and it is a pita! My pan is the original that I put back on my rebuilt 93...which I will never ever do again. It doesn't have any rust or visible bad spots. It has a hairline crack along a spot where I may have bumped while installing it into the car. I have the old pan off as well as the oil pump and screen. I can't get the pan over the steering rack so I am gonna have to remove it on Wednesday morning when I get home from work.

I tried the jb weld prior to swapping the pan. I drained the oil and let it sit for 2 days and then used throttle body cleaner and a nylon brush around the area. I let the jb weld cure for 2 more days and all it did was slow the leak to a trickle. Maybe the prep was a bit off, dunno, I read where a lot of people have had success with this. I then came to the conclusion to just fix it the right way with a new pan. So learn from my misfortune and put a new pan on if you rebuild your engine so it will not be a concern.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Pull the rack out and down without disconnecting anything but the two nuts at the rack bushings.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

I'm waiting for mine to go out any day. The whole pan is covered in rust but no hole yet. But it is rusted so bad that I thought when I removed my front plug that the pan was going to give way. Canadian winters FTL

Quick Reply: Cracked oil pan