5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oh snap! (I broke a bolt)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

You have got your work cut out. Don't be surprised if more bolts break off.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 AM
devyl

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
Is the bolt circled in the picture the same one you broke? If it is, I broke the same bolt when I pulled my waterpump. The bolt was so corroded where it went through the timing cover that once I got the cover off, I was able to unscrew the bolt by hand. It took a hammer and a couple pry bars to get that cover off because of the corrosion, but I ended up breaking the cover.
Actually, it's the one I circled and arrowed in red:

Old 01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
That's what 181k miles of grime looks like. No worries though, I dropped the block off at the machine shop today and she has a date with the hot tank, among other things.
ahh ya set her up with the spa treatment
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Holy crap that is a nasty motor. did someone dump oil on it and then run it in a sand storm or something?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

When you reinstall the water pump and timing chain cover use anti-seize on the bolts to prevent this from happening again.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:08 AM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Holy crap that is a nasty motor. did someone dump oil on it and then run it in a sand storm or something?

Whoever owned it before me didn't care too much about the looks of the engine compartment, they just drove it and did basic maintenance. I will say though, the inside of it was super clean, even the guys down at the machine shop were amazed at how good it looked for 181k. I can't wait to get it back all cleaned up and painted.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by mjr46
WOW......^^^^^^^^^^NOW THAT'S greasy mess
Not everyone has a shiney new motor there buddy!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Thats pretty typical of what you see roll in the shop on a daily basis. Trust me I've seen them a lot worse than that. I've seen them so bad you had to dig through the crud just to find a bolt head. I've had to staem clean a bunch of them before I could even think about a repair.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:20 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea that sucks when you have to do all the cleaning before you can do the work. Thats one thing I love about my job, if its that dirty the grunts have to go clean it first . Gotta love those infantry guys lol.

Don't forget to put sealant on those bolts that go into the water jackets. Which is usually the ones that break off.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 PM
devyl

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Right now I've got all the bolts out of the timing chain cover (sans the one that's broke off), and I'm waiting on my friend to bring over his pulley tool so I can get the balancer off. Quick question though. On the 1" nut on the inside of the balancer, which way breaks it loose? If I'm looking towards the rear of the car, is it towards the driver side or passenger side?

Quick Reply: Oh snap! (I broke a bolt)