5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How messed up is my Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
matherk89

Default How messed up is my Car?

I bought a gutted 87 5.0 LX for $300 not currently running. I got it home and after new plugs battery starter fuel pump and some other stuff but i still have a bunch of problems.

I got the car to start and ran it for a couple min's, but if i let up on the clutch atall the car stars to die out

When i got the car it couldnt shift into 3,4,5,R i took the shifter off to see what was going on and nothing seemed wrong with it i put it back on and now cant shift into any of the gears

I had the car jacked up and the rear wheels are really hard to spin, i took the drum brakes off and there still hard to spin. While i had my starter out (replacing it) the wheels spun more freely. when i put the new starter back in the wheels were once again hard to spin and when they did they spun opposite direction (which is normal i think b/c LX doesnt have limited slip?)

when i lowered the car i tried to push it to spin the tires, one tire was resting on snow/ice while other was on pavement, i pushed the car but the wheels spun opposite still! the one on the pavement forward with the car the other on the ice spun backwards.

Is my transmission garbage and causing these problems? or are there other causes. I heard somthing about burnt out clutches causing some of these problems.

This is my first car i bought to do work on so i'm learning as i got so any help is appreciated, Thanks guys
Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

the wheels spinning opposite directions is normal.

if its a factory 5.0 car, it has traction-lok (posi) as standard equipment

as for the shifter and clutch problems, i would take the dust cover off the side of the tranny (drivers side) and inspect the clutch cable and shift fork, also may as well look under the dash and see if the quadrant is binding (clutch cable runs through this piece)
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM
warpedsc
1st Gear Member

if u cant change gears with the car off could be a bad tranny.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Check and make sure the clutch is releaseing.

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 01-10-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
matherk89

i know the wheels spinning opposite is normal in the air, but shouldnt they spin the same when on the ground in neutral? how do i check if the clutch is releasing? would tranny fluid in the differential help atall? thanks for the help
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

The clutch is sticking from the sounds of it.

But for one thing the starter has nothing to do with the wheels turning.The starter would have to have stayed engaged to cause it to be hard to turn the wheels but you can start the car so the bendix is obviously operating.So the starter is not an issue.

Second an open differential will rotate the tires in opposite directions a T-LOK (aka POSI) will turn both wheels the same direction unless its worn completely out and even then if theres any clutch material left in the rearend it will still rotate the wheels in the same direction by hand.

As for the tranny check for broken or bent shift forks.The T-5 assuming thats what you have is infamous for this.Also check to see if you got the shifter properly installed.

Welcome to HOTRODDING!I love buying basket cases like you have theyre always fun.I have two that started that way oddly enough theyre both 84's ones a coupe others a hatch GT.

Hang in there and dont get discouraged.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

put car in nuetral and unbolt driveshaft and see if car still stalls out...if so it could have a bad pilot bearing siezed on input shaft
Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I think you need to adjust the rear brakes. Push the clutch in and see if rolls or have someone push on it to see if it will move. Was the car sitting before you bought it?

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 01-10-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Its not the rear brakes needing adjusting. He said that he took off the drums and was still hard to spin.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riceinator
Its not the rear brakes needing adjusting. He said that he took off the drums and was still hard to spin.
I didn't see that.

Quick Reply: How messed up is my Car?