5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rebuilding a T5

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
greasemonkey

Default Rebuilding a T5

Anyone have any good websites with a decent breakdown of a T5 WC. I havnt rebuilt a T5 or a T5 WC bofore and Im wanting to find a breakdown and torque specs. Its in a 94 GT.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

there isnt really "torque" specs since there really isnt any nuts and bolts except for when you seal up the case. are you just looking for a step by step breakdown of how to rebuild one? i can walk you through it if you have questions but its really self explanitory once you get into it. the key is to stay organized.

how damaged is the T5? do you need to replace any gears or just a simple blocker ring, bearings/race replacement rebuid?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
greasemonkey

I was reffering to the case bolts and what not. Just a breakdown. Not a walkthrough just a schematic incase I run into somthing and have a question on "which direction or which way" somthing goes. It needs gears, just havnt got it pulled yet
Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

case bolts just need to be snug. all the tailshaft bolts should have lockwashers on them so they wont back out. dont torque them, the rtv will do its job.

as far as making sure everything is put back together correctly. when you take it apart just take apart in order and lay it out in an exploded fasion so you dont forget. you can also take digi pictures.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
greasemonkey

I have done several ford 5 speeds and 4 spds. So basically there is no major differences from other 5 speeds or pointers I should know about?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if you know how to rebuild a tranny this should be a cake walk. i did an old 60's 3 speed with external linkage. personally i felt this rebuild was no challange. again if you have a question let me know.

only thing you wanna check is the countershaft spacing wise with the shim. i actually had to sand my shim down just a bit to get it to read correctly.

make sure the main shaft end play is less the .003 travel. other than that my only issue was i didnt understand(at the time) of internal stops. so i overshifted 3&4th slider and it locked up. so i had to tear it all apart to get the slider back onto the hub.

the only difference you may encounter is 92& later t5's have a second brass blcoker on 5th to stop reverse from grinding.

umm, everything else should be pretty straight forward
Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
greasemonkey

Awsome, I appreciate the info. If I have any questions Ill be asking ya. lol
Thanks again
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

http://www.flatheadv8.org/T5Rebuild.pdf

Have fun
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
there isnt really "torque" specs since there really isnt any nuts and bolts except for when you seal up the case
NOT TOTALLY true....the cluster retainer has atorque spec as well as a min/max end play that is shimmed and checked with a dial indicator and the out put shaft has end play to check for also.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by mjr46
NOT TOTALLY true....the cluster retainer has atorque spec as well as a min/max end play that is shimmed and checked with a dial indicator and the out put shaft has end play to check for also.
i know

make sure the main shaft end play is less the .003 travel.
you wanna check is the countershaft spacing wise with the shim. i actually had to sand my shim down just a bit to get it to read correctly.
i says it up there

and i forgots about the cluster retainer so....+1 to that!! lol. (i didnt forget to do that on mine)

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a T5