5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

banging noise in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 PM
lamchop

Default banging noise in the rear

i got a big problem, i had my tranny rebuild about a month age with a 2500 stall converter, shift kit, and the works. the car ran good and shifted nice. now a month later i had 410 gears put in, on light trottle when i get off the gas sometimes i get this banging from the rear. like the car is up shifting or down shifting. i took it back to the shop that did the gears and they said everything is good, i took it to another guy that does rear for a living and he checked everything out and he said it was good, now i took it back to the tranny guy and he said that the tranny is shifting good and it is doing what it is supposed to do, now what do i do now?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: banging noise in the rear

dont take no for a reason. Go to another tranny shop and tell them you have this problem. dont tell them you just did it or anything and dont say someone else did just tell them the problem and ask what it could be. Make it seem like you are their potential customer and you would like a free estimate.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:15 PM
lamchop

that sounds good, i will give it a try, but as soon as the car is in the air he is going to be able to tell that the tranny and the rear was worked on.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

My guess is with the 4.10 gears the car is shifting earlier (mph speed) and when you let off the gas from acceleration the car is ready to shift up a gear and when you let off the throttle as it is upshifting you get a bang. The shift kit would cause the shift to be harder than before. My guess is that's all it is and is likely normal for your combination. You can't expect the car to respond like it did before the gears and the tranny work.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

have you checked the u joints, just a suggestion. hope you figure it out.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
lamchop

the u joints are good, i install a alumiun driveshaft at the same time when i install the gears.
the car was shifting good after i had the tranny done( about a month before the gears). this started to happen after the gears.
i was also thinking that because the high gears, it messup the shift points on the tranny. which is causeing the problem.
will adjusting the pressure/kickdown cable help or solve the problem?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

the back lash is off...also have the tv cable check for adjustment
Old 06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
lamchop

what is the back lash? i had two different people look at the rear and they said it is good, one of the person does rears for a living.
the tv cable, do i have to make it tighter or loosen it up?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Is your car lowered?
Is it sagging?
Could it possibly be the bump stop hitting the body when you let off the gas?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

it wouldnt be the shift points in the tranny since its not electronic and it goes off line pressure. youre fine with that situation if your getting a bang after you let off its probably to much pressure but if this happend after you got gears then something is up with the gears and just cause someone says they are a pro doesnt mean the are

Quick Reply: banging noise in the rear