5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PYPES Header nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
RED93LX

Default PYPES Header nightmare

At the World Ford Challenge in Granite city IL May 12-15th I purchased a set of headers from Pypes. Although I had never heard of this company I looked at their web sight and they looked like a great company. Lifetime warranty , Ceramic coated headers, X pipes with high flow cat that will out perform any make of x pipes with cats. So I decided to purchase the Ceramic coated headers and high flow x pipe w/cats. They had a special $209 for the headers and $179 for the x pipe and cats. Sounded too good to be true , Right!! Well guess what, it was. I had to drill the holes up on the drivers side to get the header on. Then on the Passenger side there was no way they were going to fit. I called Pypes and they told me to drill the header up 3 times before I noticed that there was no flange surface between the bolt hole and the exhaust tube..Bummer. I called them and they said to ship them back, I want them to pay for shipping but I'm not sure if they will. I shipped them back with 2 day shipping on May 19th. To this day June 7th I still have no header. Also the X pipe they sent me is 2-3" longer than stock so now I have to take my car to midas to have this fixed. I new I should have gone with BBK and been done with it. Stay away from "Pypes". I have been very nice to them thru all of this but not one time have they appologized for any inconvience this has caused me. Ive missed 2 car shows and the rush of smoking the tires. They Suck!!!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PYPES Header nightmare

...do ya feel better?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

That sucks red. Live and learn I guess.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
87GTHO
2nd Gear Member

Im thinking of giving magnaflow a try, With bbk headers.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

sry about the problems thats why we only say get BBK or MAC headers
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

thats too bad. i hate bad companies [:@]
Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

i always thought they was a good company.. Man that stinks i guess ill stick with the cheap MACs Thanks for the info
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Ccass
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: RED93LX

At the World Ford Challenge in Granite city IL May 12-15th I purchased a set of headers from Pypes. Although I had never heard of this company I looked at their web sight and they looked like a great company. Lifetime warranty , Ceramic coated headers, X pipes with high flow cat that will out perform any make of x pipes with cats. So I decided to purchase the Ceramic coated headers and high flow x pipe w/cats. They had a special $209 for the headers and $179 for the x pipe and cats. Sounded too good to be true , Right!! Well guess what, it was. I had to drill the holes up on the drivers side to get the header on. Then on the Passenger side there was no way they were going to fit. I called Pypes and they told me to drill the header up 3 times before I noticed that there was no flange surface between the bolt hole and the exhaust tube..Bummer. I called them and they said to ship them back, I want them to pay for shipping but I'm not sure if they will. I shipped them back with 2 day shipping on May 19th. To this day June 7th I still have no header. Also the X pipe they sent me is 2-3" longer than stock so now I have to take my car to midas to have this fixed. I new I should have gone with BBK and been done with it. Stay away from "Pypes". I have been very nice to them thru all of this but not one time have they appologized for any inconvience this has caused me. Ive missed 2 car shows and the rush of smoking the tires. They Suck!!!!!
Come on Red, You're not being totally fair. I understand your disapointment with the headers. I'd be pissed too. A full refund is always an option but I think we got the impression you were ok with us solving the problem and replacing them. Yes, we had a problem, I'll personally take the blame for that. But you gotta give us a little time to fix the problem before you trash us here while we're trying to make it right. Don't you think? Yes, the LH flange has the bolt holes shifted ever so slightly and we made a bunch of them like that! We took another set and installed them on one of our sponsor cars and when we honed out each hole .003 the LH header fit fine and the bolt covers up any drilling imperfections. (btw he ran his best 1/4 mile time to date 11.81 with our headers after taking off his Long Tube MACs!) What happened with your pair is it looks like you drilled out each of the holes a little uneven and by the time you got to the end hole you had to make a much larger hole. Granted, you shouldn't have had to do any drilling. I'm not making excuses but we tested the prototypes and they fit perfect. When we had them run, something obviously went wrong. We're trying to fix them and make new ones but to do it right, it's going to take more than 2 weeks. You must have never tested the RH side because we have since installed them on three different cars and they all fit nicely. $209/pr for fully polished inside/out ceramic coated headers would have been a bargain if they fit, no? []

As far as the X-pipe is concerned, I absolutely guarantee that X pipe fits properly. It's not 3" too long. We make all of Mustang Tuning's X-pipes. They sell a LOT of our X pipes and we don't get complaints. If our X pipes didn't fit, everyone would know about it. If you can show me pics, we can figure out why it is not fitting. Again, $179 for a brand new catted X-pipe with a warranty? That's a pretty unbeatable price but again, after being frustrated by the LH header though, I don't blame you for losing confidence in us. When that happens, you start thinking everything we have is junk. But if you give us a chance, you will see that is simply not true.

So PLEASE, give us a call and tell us what you want done, and we'll make it right. Yes, we're a fairly new company but we've got some nice products and many more planned. Please don't bury us yet.

I guess I have to eat my signature now. []
Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 AM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

guess he told you. i think someone owes somebody an apology.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:37 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

That's awesome, a site sponsor on the Forum. Granted, when I buy a part, I'd never want to modify it (drill, pound, etc...) to get it to fit, but he also said they're working on it...

Quick Reply: PYPES Header nightmare