5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bad Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:41 PM
SN95GT302

Default Bad Problems..

hi guys im new to forums and i have a few questions id like to ask you all.
I have a bone stock 95 GT,So let me get started.. i did a tune up to the car about 3 months ago..and my "dumb" friend wanted to change my timing well ive researched this alot and one thing he did not do was dissconect the dizzy and set it he tried turning the dizzy its self..how ever it did help the car alot he said it sounded like it was in "limp" mode because it was running like **** so after i did the complete tuneup wich consists of copper 25s cap & rotor button new coil..oil change with filter and thats about it.. i didnt change the wires because about 3 months before that i bought them new..well heres my problem i get in the car and go to drive and under in accelration or steady crusing my car falls on its self my RPMS bounce up and down and u can clearly feel the car missing my voltage gauage is reading on the N and O on NORMAL i bought new battery.. had altenator checked everything seems fine...but i do notice that the guage is reading very low but has no problems starting my basic concern is how do i go about fixing this..i do need to have the timing properly set..would this make it stumble very bad ive tried to unplug MAF and other sensors etc and also reseting the computer ..theres no check engine light..and the car is running liek it has a cam in it..very dogish..wants to shut off on idle sometimes due to the miss..all i have on the car is bbk shorty headers..also i noticed today when i took the cap off that its very nasty in there..seeing i just did that 3 months ago its all rusty colord dust in there very bad..i tried cleaning it a bit..still no difference sorry for the book i had to write but i need this car to get me from point A to point B..any help would be greatful and thanks for all your time.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

get a timing gun and make sure its right
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
SN95GT302

ok il do that tomorro..any other opinions out there on what it could be besides timing..egr? uhm iac? tps?any opinions i need them all [lease thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 PM
mikekx65
1st Gear Member

Might also wanna check for vaccum leaks. Try running the KOEO/KOER tests and see if you get any codes.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

So did you change the timing? If you did was the spout connector disconnected?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
SN95GT302

No i have not yet im going to do that but i need other opions so i can go ahed and buy the stuff i need to try but thanks for all your replys so far
Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikekx65
Might also wanna check for vaccum leaks. Try running the KOEO/KOER tests and see if you get any codes.
++ Do what mikekx said, that would at least narrow it down to see if it's anything easy to notice, such as a code being present. You said it's all "rusty" in the headers, Wondering if there's a leak somewhere since that can effect idle and if crap gets inside that shouldn't. Having air coming in other than through the intake tube means air not going by the mass air sensor which means the computer isn't getting the right readings to have your engine operate, therefore it tries to compensate and BAM, now your getting idle issues because you really are getting the right air in and the comp thinks you arent. See if any codes pop up and go from there! Also if you get a can of carb cleaner you can check to see if there are any leaks anywhere pretty easily!

A KOEO/KOER test page for info!
http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM
rossstang8808
1st Gear Member

for the cap deal i guess your talking about you radiator/cooling system??? what you can do there is drain your system and refill with 50/50 water and regular vinager. leave the cap off because the liquids boil at different temps. and just let it run thru your system for several minutes. this will boil out your entire system and clean the block and everything. then just fill it back up qith water and antifreeze and you SHOULD b good to go on that part.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
SN95GT302

geez i need to learn how to put my questions better..guys what i meant was UNDER my DIZZY CAP is all rusty colord lookin dust inside under the dizzy cap it looks 20 years old when i just replaced the rotor button and dizzy CAP.......nothing to do with headers or my cooling system..all my car is doing is fallin on its self rpms bounce up and down under any acceleration..or steady crusing my headers dont leak..i have tried to clean the contact that go in the dizzy to no avail..also scraped the corrison off the rotorbutton i tried cleaning maf..inside my throttle body is a lil oily lookin i dont expect a 10 second car out of this i just want it to freakin run like it was meant to lol right now im changing the inlin fuel filter..and also how can i check for a cloged egr theres a
Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 AM
SN95GT302

well i found out my problem..went to auto zone to put my car on the obd tester ..wouldent read...go figure those hand helds are a joke plain and simple..neways i looked down in my dizzy under the cap and my dizzy pickup was basically wobbiling around in there.. i showed the guy that he touched it tried to start the car and boom wouldent start had to call tripple A to come pick my *** up but neways im buying a whole new dizzy and i need some input on how the hell to get this one out.. i loosned the bolt that holds it in place... but i cant even turn the dizzy side to side!! it like super stuck any ideas on how i pull this out with out makin a mistake of breakin sumthin off in the motor?PLEAS HELP

Quick Reply: Bad Problems..