5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Warm weather here, time to get problems solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Default Warm weather here, time to get problems solved

Alright, now that it's finally warming up here, it's time for me to finally solve the pesky problems ive got with my car that have been annoying me all winter.

#1 Idle Surges - Happens way more frequently when warm, but still does it cold. Idles at around 900rpm's, than drops down (and sometimes stalls out) when idling, and sometimes spikes way too high trying to adjust itself (like 1000-1500 rpms). I had the MAF removed and cleaned, and the IAC was just replaced (OEM). I also reset base idle on it, and it did help it a little, but it still does it.

It does it when I press the clutch in too sometimes, and will stall out while im rolling to a stop or whatever and I have to start it up again. No CEL on the dash, and as far as I can tell, no trouble codes.

#2 When the car does idle fine (no fluctuation), you can feel the car shaking a little bit. I remember before it started having problems it used to sit smooth at stop lights and etc and you couldn't feel it shaking. Would like to get it back to this way.

#3 Drivers seatbelt needs replaced. The coil came undone at the floor. Anyone know a place to get used ones, or new ones at a reasonable price (Convertible model).

#3 How do I check the fuel pressure, and test the injectors? I fear one of them might be plugged, causing my idling problem, although I have no CEL. I used seafoam and injector cleaner not even two fillups ago, and use it usually about every other one or two fillups.

#4 Getting the convertible top replaced: As soon as I can find a decent priced replacement top that doesn't offer only a plastic window, with no defroster, and is a single piece (Installing myself, so I can't sew the curtain and top together)

#5 Getting the cracked instrument cluster cover replaced, so if anyone has a spare one they can send my way, shoot me a PM!

#6 Getting the paint touched up, and getting it back to it's factory shine!

Recently (within 4000 miles), had the plugs, wires, rotor, and dist cap replaced, and the plugs are correctly gapped. Had the fuel filter replaced about 1000 miles ago.

I think that's about it as far as some stuff I want to get done. I listed all the problems, and all the stuff that has been tried to get it working, so please offer your suggestions on what to do to fix it!

Thanks,
Ex0r

Last edited by Ex0r; 02-09-2009 at 06:06 AM.