5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

valley girdle for 331 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 AM
STANG6504
1st Gear Member

Default valley girdle for 331 stroker?

i was wondering if anybody had any experience with a valley girdle i tried to find a thread on it and i cant i have a 331 stroker 11 to 1 compression 4340 eagle crank and rods,je coated pistons,vic jr heads,vic jr intake,a massive cam cant think of specs i would have to look at the cam card anyways it has already got main girdle and stud girdle made 611hp at the crank and 577 lbs tq that was n.a it also has a 250 shot of juice but i have not had it dynoed with the juice i was wondering if a valley girdle would help me at all if it helped even just a little bit i could see one in my future any help,opinions,or experience would be very helpful thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I have a Valley Girdle in mine but I can't tell you if it helps or not but I use it just to be cautious. 577 lbs ft of torque on an 11-1 331? I'm calling BS on that one big time. I can't get my 347 to 500lbs and I know what I'm doing, lol. Pushing the nitrous button on that thing would be like pulling the pin on a grenade.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

It is from my understanding from this forum that it is believed that a valley girdle is supposed to be a bigger waste of time and money than a main girdle. Seems alot of guys on here don't like the idea of a main girdle also. I have a main girdle on mine, don't know if it is going to help or hinder. Just thought it would be nice to have so it's under there.

Not trying to start a pissing match, but I know anything is possible. I would like to see some kind of proof of this hp/tq numbers of this said engine combo.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

^^ Port, i agree 100%, some people think we will believe they have the world. Not to be a thread jacker or anything but im in the process of building a 306. At what point do you determine a Valley Girdle is necessary? If its something that will help me prevent detination ill gladly buy one while the engine is being built. Where does the girdle get installed and whats its purpose.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I know for a fact the main girdle is a worthwhile addition. I've seen engines run with high speed cameras played back in slow motion to show block flex. It's unreal the amount of movement in a production block at high rpm. Given the fact the late model 5.0 block is one of the weakest blocks out there just makes it that much worse. Anything you can do to add strength to the block at the mains helps. I've seen a stud girdle cut the flex down by about 50%. As far a the valley girdles go I have no proof that they help. In my case I figured it wouldn't hurt so I did it. The best thing to do once you really get up in the big power is to move into aftermarket block
Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

What brands are reputable and how do they work? How much to they cost on avg??
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StrongStang50
^^ Port, i agree 100%, some people think we will believe they have the world. Not to be a thread jacker or anything but im in the process of building a 306. At what point do you determine a Valley Girdle is necessary? If its something that will help me prevent detination ill gladly buy one while the engine is being built. Where does the girdle get installed and whats its purpose.

Thanks for your help
The Valley Girdle installs in the lifter valley under the intake. It's suppose to add strenght to the block. The Jury is still out on the effectivness of the valley girdle
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Any suggestions on brand or type??
Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StrongStang50
What brands are reputable and how do they work? How much to they cost on avg??
I use Valley Girdle Pro. I think I paid just over 200 dollars for the set-up. I figured if nothing else if my block split it might save some of my other parts. I looked at it like this. Most of your super high performance blocks have this webbing built into the block. While this may not substitute webbing that is cast into the block I could find no reason not to do it. I look at it like a seat belt. It may not not keep you from wrecking the car but it may save the life of the passengers. If it saves my heads and crank it's well worth the money.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Useless, right along with a main girdle preventing the block from cracking, which they do not.

Quick Reply: valley girdle for 331 stroker?