5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Exhaust ??

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 AM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust ??

I currently have a set of MAC headers (Not ceramic) and a MAC off road H pipe w/ a SLP loudmouth II catback.

I was looking in to getting a set of ceramic coated headers, BBK makes a set and Summit is charging $320 for them. I can get a set of long tube Headers for $100 more (But i will have to buy a prochaimber). Overall itll cost be like $300 more to go long tubes over the shorties including the prochaimber.

What are the pro's and cons of going long tube and is it worth it? How much HP is gained? Is it still a good idea to heat wrap ceramic coated long tubes or is "ceramic coated) sufficient?

Thanks for the help..
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

ive heard with fox's (i know youve got the SN) but i heard, longtubes are a bitch to fit in the cars. so i stuck with my MAC ceramic shorties. and as far as i know, longtubes will give you more torque, not so much HP. let us know with what you decide!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

I will have the engine out when I do my swap so i figured it would be the best time to do it.. Anyone else have any feedback??
Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StrongStang50
I will have the engine out when I do my swap so i figured it would be the best time to do it.. Anyone else have any feedback??
yeaa def the best time to do it! good luck!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

regular length headers give gains all arround, short length headers only are good for vehicles with fittment issues, regardless of what anyone says.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Long tubes good for big HP...bitch to get in/out if something happens (header gasket, etc - tight fit)...IMO, I'd stick with the shorty headers for the ease of getting them in & out! ...and since your already have them!

Want more, by a NOS kit!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Anyone have an opinion on heat wrap? I think im going to go with the long tubes and the provhaimber's but im not sure if i should wrap them for better heat dissapation.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Anyone have an opinion on heat wrap? I think im going to go with the long tubes and the provhaimber's but im not sure if i should wrap them for better heat dissapation.
Don't heat wrap the headers. The wrap holds moisture and will rust the headers.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by timspony
Long tubes good for big HP...bitch to get in/out if something happens (header gasket, etc - tight fit)...IMO, I'd stick with the shorty headers for the ease of getting them in & out! ...and since your already have them!

Want more, by a NOS kit!
How often are you going to be taking out your headers, honestly?

If you are getting ceramic coated its not as big of a concern.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Portmaster,

Thanks for the heads up. I didnt even think of that. Can you Powder Coat ceramic coated headers? I just dont want them to look crappy in a few months. The MAC shorties I have on right now are all grimy looking and i dont want that to happen again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust ??