5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aluminum driveshaft questions

Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
droptop302
3rd Gear Member

I just did my aluminum drive shaft swap this weekend and wow no more buzzzzzzzing shifter Handel.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

with gear changes to say a 3.73 up will cause some extra vibration what the aluminum driveshaft does is dampen the vibrations...also other benefit is less rotating mass meaning less drive train loss so 1-3 hp more at the wheel
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
STANG6504
1st Gear Member

out of 5 foxes i did the aluminum drive shaft on 2 one was just the drive shaft because of a vibration and it fixed my vibration problem on the other i did a aluminum flywheel and drive shaft and it made the motor alot more responsive it reved and dereved alot faster plus like wowvfast said less rotating mass so = a little more power to the rear wheels
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
94_SVT

The reason an aluminum driveshaft is recommended/needed when you do a gear swap is because the driveshaft will be spinning at a higher rpm as opposed to with stock gears. The stock driveshaft isnt made to spin that fast without the frequency reaching its vibration point which is why you usually feel a vibration with gear swaps. The aluminum driveshaft is stronger and usually has a larger diameter which keeps it from twisting or bowing like the stock one and causing a vibration.

Theres actually a formula for the length and diameter dirveshaft you need depending on the rpm it will be turning. Ill try to find it and post it later.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

I guess you learn something new every day. I didnt know it freed up 1-3 HP.. Sweet..
Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by StrongStang50
I guess you learn something new every day. I didnt know it freed up 1-3 HP.. Sweet..
Dont take that to the bank and expect to cash it
Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

wow lots of useful info and thanks for all the posts guys! i really want to find one now, my stepdad is still opposing the idea, but im going to go with you guys because, well everyone on here has had experience. lol and he doesnt know jack for fords. :P hes a mopar guy. not that im a hater, hes just not knowledgeable in Fords.

now ive just gotta find one cheaper than $250 on summit. hah anyone selling? i can get one out of a aerostar too right?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

i changed my universals and it took my vibrations away. but i still have a slight one at high rpm i have a stock ds and 4.10 gears. i want an aluminum
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by TopNotch89
wow lots of useful info and thanks for all the posts guys! i really want to find one now, my stepdad is still opposing the idea, but im going to go with you guys because, well everyone on here has had experience. lol and he doesnt know jack for fords. :P hes a mopar guy. not that im a hater, hes just not knowledgeable in Fords.

now ive just gotta find one cheaper than $250 on summit. hah anyone selling? i can get one out of a aerostar too right?
firstly....look at my sig.....mopar guys, we tend to know whats going on .

A car is a car, regardless of make. Cars arent magic and different based on where they are manufactured. There are certain truths that are applicable to all cars, and then some that are applicable to cars that are similar.

check out car-part.com for the shaft.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
firstly....look at my sig.....mopar guys, we tend to know whats going on .

A car is a car, regardless of make. Cars arent magic and different based on where they are manufactured. There are certain truths that are applicable to all cars, and then some that are applicable to cars that are similar.

check out car-part.com for the shaft.
sorry slo, i didnt mean anything personal with what i said

and yea i checked out car-part.com and theres a bunch of em around me but none close

i might just put in my stock one for now, and if its bad ill just throw in an alum. one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aluminum driveshaft questions