5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

twin turbo kit for my bone stock 302

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Horsepower doesn't kill anything because it's nothing but a math equation of Torque X RPM /5252 thats it. It's a measurememt of power and not the power itself. Torque is the real action and boost increases Cylinder pressure dramaticly and that places a lot more pressure on everything. With a turbo as the engine speed goes up the turbo speed follows suit and cyl pressure gets extremly high and thats when blocks flex, gaskets blow and blocks split and the more cyl pressure the more torque but often times the parts don't hold up to the pressuse created in the the cylinder and things go bad.

One reason that a lot of these Dyno Queen twin Turbo 2.0 four bangers lay down 750 hp is that they spin the rollers on the dyno without actually having to push a car and once they get the rollers moving they spin those things up to 11,000 rpm and it makes big numbers. In the real world where it has to actaully has to push a car through the wind and from a dead stop it turns out to be a differant story when that dyno queen can't bust into the 11's. Horsepower doesn't mean Crapola. The only thing it does is give people and idea of power. Torque moves the car and cubic inches and cyl pressure create torque. Excessive cyl pressure, excessive heat and excessive rpm is what kills engines.
So then why do blocks come rated in horse power? Like when people say if you're planning on going over xxx(I don't know the number but I've head a few) amount of horse get a Boss or Dart block. I'm not being an E-***** I'm seriously asking/trying to learn here.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

skippy I know turbos....so step back until you know me....your given info without any knowledge of the engines condition....you'll see smoke bellowing out quickly
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
your kidding right? you dont know sh*t about turbos stop posting responses to questions regarding them.

youll be fine with 8psi. if you pull the heads off, put in some mls gaskets and head studs and youll be good to 12psi

go with 42# injectors and a 255lph fuel pump. youll need an maf calibrated to the 42# injectors
Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you have links to your turbo car?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
ViperblueGT

hey guys thanks for the input ...i have contacted turbonetics and a few other manufacturers... who have told me on a stock lower end a single turbo is plenty but i'm doin the twin anyway...they are two 63mm turbos' and the reason for me getting both turbos anyway is just cause im feeding my horsepower needs for now with about nine psi total....after the turbo kit is on i'm building a low compression 331 that will definitely work both of the turbos so it will save me more money in the end instead of buying two kits...and yes i could probably wait til the motor is built to get the turbo kit on but putting really low boost on my motor now will allow me to mock everything up and get used to the feeling of "boosting" it so that when i get the new motor done it will just fit in like a glove...and i hope it is addicting lol cause it will give me more motivation to finish my other motor..
Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wowvfast
skippy I know turbos....so step back until you know me....your given info without any knowledge of the engines condition....you'll see smoke bellowing out quickly
tell that to every other guy on theturboforums running a stock motor and a turbo without any issues. and if your so worried about him not giving enough info to give a response you should have said so in your first response and not the less then intelligent thing you said

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 02-18-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM
ViperblueGT

alright now i'm confused as ****....a guy who has helped me build a couple motors who is a good friend of mine has told me that two 63 mm turbos is not streetable what so ever and will make around 1200 horses and i wont be able to drive it everyday cause it will over heat ......i think he is full of **** though cause i have buddies that the same kinda kit....so i'm askin yall.. should i even embark on this tt thing will i be able to drive it on the highway and stuff like an everyday car
Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM
CobraJ

IT'S GONNA BLOW UP, AND BE NO BUENO!!! You should just save yourself time and money, and just send that kit my way, lol..

I'm JK man.. Good luck with it.. But if you decide not to use it, shoot me the first PM, cause I want TTs
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by limp1969
there is only one way to find out!
The problem is you might want to have a 5.0 block in the works with a forged bottom end because when it goes it wont be pretty. I like N/A for this reason you can abuse it more.
Turbo sure would be fun to mess with for a while
i think the 88's did have forged pistons..didnt they? but i know what you mean and you're exactly right. I would just use one of the turbos. no need for a twin turbo setup on your setup
Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
ViperblueGT

no im building the low compression 331 i'm not doing the tt on my block now it's just about shot anyway but i dont' really wanna be putting a grand to the wheels maybe 800 tops but like i said i wanna be able to drive it whenever cause my personal opinion is a car is worthless if you cant drive it...
Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Jeankrist
Banned

800 hp is streetable? i think that's pushing it imo but hey what do i know im just a doctor

Quick Reply: twin turbo kit for my bone stock 302