5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hot restart problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Default Hot restart problems.

Have a 93 Mustang. Long tube headers, gear reduction mini starter, battery in trunk.

Cranks up fine on the coldest of mornings but if a bitch to restart when it's hot.
Since the beginning of time it has cranked a bit slow when hot. Rebuilt the starter and it didn't change anything. I've ignored this problem for years because the slow crank when hot has never failed to start the car but the last couple weeks it's failed to restart when hot.

Three batteries later I'm pretty sure it's not the battery. I have around 12.6 volts when the car is off. 13 to 14 something when running. The higher the idle, higher the voltage. Can I assume my charging is fine? This is measured at the front and the back, same.

Also replaced the ground cable in the trunk. Only because it was easy to change. The positive is a big job and need to know for sure it's my problem before I tackle that one.

Anyone else with hot restart problems? What's the fix.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hrmmmmm battery relocate to the trunk and slow crank???? hmmmm sounds like you have a voltage drop prob or high resistance in the cable and or insufficient wire gauge for the current draw a starter needs.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I have heard of this problem before many times with relocated batteries. It's one of the reasons I kept mine in front.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

It may be due to header heat. The battery is definitely fine. Did you have this problem before the battery was relocated?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
hrmmmmm battery relocate to the trunk and slow crank???? hmmmm sounds like you have a voltage drop prob or high resistance in the cable and or insufficient wire gauge for the current draw a starter needs.
That would sound good if it wasn't for the fact that the car starts perfectly when it's cold.

I'd lean more towards a heat soaked starter. Though with the mini starter, I'd imagine it wouldn't get as hot being further away from the header. hmmm.

That's my best guess. Try wrapping a heat shield around the starter or something I guess.

Not sure what else it could be.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

How much timing are you running?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

When I bought my car is had this problem and the battery was in the trunk. I tried many different things, new starter, new solenoid, different grounds. Nothing would fix the problem. When its cold it would start perfect but after driving for miles and miles it would have to sit at least 45 mins before I could go anywhere. I checked the timing and it was at 13 degrees so I left that alone. Then I put the battery back up front and ran all new cabling and it worked like a champ. Then one day it did it again, I put the timing back at 10 degrees and I havent had this problem since.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I designed a hot start circuit for my friends 351w 89lx. he is running 13.5:1 in it and it has a BITCH of a time cranking over when hot.

nex time you are having the problem. try pulling out your SPOUT connector, see if it starts easier. If so, get back to me and I'll send you the designs for the circuit!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Would there be any point in checking the ohm in the long wire when it's hot and won't start or just measure it? What kind of number am I looking for here?

The battery has been in the trunk since I bought the car 3 years ago. It's always cranked a bit slow when hot but ALWAYS started. I'm not doubting the cable or starter at this point but the problem is not from the battery being in the trunk. I've done this on other cars before. Both 60's big blocks, one had the timing locked at 36 deg, they never had problems restarting hot.

My timing is presently at 12 deg. Been there since last fall. Had it as high as 15 before and not had this problem. I will try undoing the spout connector next time. What will that do? Retard the timing or kill spark? The one near the distributor?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
89coupe
1st Gear Member

My car is having the same problem. it is 11 to 1 comp and wont crank over after driving for a while. i pulled the spout connector like stated by adder and it still wont crank when hot. if it sits for 30 minutes it fires right up. i am puzzled and just like jfsram would appreciate some help.

Quick Reply: Hot restart problems.