5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Greg Weld Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Default Greg Weld Wheels

I prob should have asked this question before ordering my wheels but I ask it anyway. I ordered a set of Greg Weld Prostars for my notch. Now I have a 9 inch Currie rear with 11 inch explorer disc brake upgrade and ordered 15X8 with 5.5 back space for the rear (don't expect a fitment issue there) but I ordered 15X5's for the front. I havent decided on spindes yet but would like to go with 99-04s if possible but SN-95 if they would work. Hours after these wheels were shipped I started hearing fitment horror stories. I got the wheels at a great deal and I know the company no longer exsist. I was looking to get out as cheap as possible and end up with a quality wheel.

As soon as the rear ones arrive from Nevada on Friday I will slide one on the rear to see if it clears but I'm worried about the front wheels clearing SN-95 caliper setup. I don't have front spindles as of yet and I have to be able to use the center cap or I'll send them back. The thing I want to know is if I'm able to use these wheels what front spindle could I or should I use?(85 notch) I'm lost in this type of swap and have never used a Greg Weld wheel. Now I did order the Greg Weld lug nuts. I ordered the open shank for the rear because I have 3 inch studs hanging out of the Currie, I ordered closed lug nuts for the front.

Is anyone running these wheels? Fitment issues? What spindle are you using? Photos? Anything

I really like the wheels and would like to use them if possible. I'm trying to come in on this car under 20K and every dollar counts right now. Give me the good news, bad news and your imput. TIA

Last edited by Portmaster; 02-28-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
kremer306
1st Gear Member

Wink

i am running almost the same setup in the rear currie and disc brake i had to grind the top off the calipers about 1/8 inch in the rear and the front calipers had to grind the front off prob about a 1/4 inch on my sn95 brake upgrade i have the same wheels as you except the rear 4 1/2 backspacing
Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM
kremer306
1st Gear Member

did you get the cobra master cylinder yet to run the disc on the rear and the prop. valve plug kit i think even when you upgrade the fron to sn95 you have to have the master cyl.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'm going to be using a Wilwood manual master cyl and adjustable pro valve. I don't mind grinding down on the rear caliper. I think when the fronts get here Tuesday I'll see how well the fronts fit up to the caliper on the wifes 03. Now I need to find out if an 99-04 spindle assembly will fit and what it takes to get it bolted up.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
kremer306
1st Gear Member

im almost sure that they will fit but your stance will be 1.5 inches wider i think
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I was thinking there was only 8mm differance . Hmmmm?
Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
kremer306
1st Gear Member

i know my sn95 upgrade widen my stance
Old 02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'm lost on this subject, hahaha!!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I inquired about these wheels on another site. I didn't get good comments about the wheels. They are clearing them out from Summits web site at cheap pricing. That's why I inquired.

Here is some of the resonse I got.....

"cast aluminum uni-lug drag wheel = bad idea

The shank style lug nut to accomidate multi bolt circles is a weak design. They are NOT DOT approved. While NHRA approved the design at first, there is rumor that they will outlaw this style wheel. They are CAST, which makes them not the ideal drag wheel, thats why they are soo cheap. Lastly Greg Weld is dead, Summit is not ordering any more wheels from them and they are trying to offload these remaining ones. when Greg welds old business went under, he started this one. There were a few people who jumped on these at first, I remember seeing pics of broke wheel from a 2' wheel stand...

There is a lot of info on these on the net. Check around........"

"I bought a 15" set that supposedly fit the 2005 Mustang GT, but they didn't clear the calipers. Their engineering unit apparently test fitted with a V6 mustang, which has a different size caliper. I sent 'em back. When GW died, several resellers were stuck with wheels that were less than desirable (see above). I concur with Will-don't waste your money..."
Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I think I'll send them back and buy some Summit Fakelites. I should have done my homeworks before ordering them. The mistake I made was trusting in Greg Welds reputation when he owned Weld.

Quick Reply: Greg Weld Wheels