5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

removing air from cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
onebad88lx
1st Gear Member

ur engine is probly air locked id do that first since its a simple fix mite take u awhile to get all the air out but ive fixed bought 3 cars that did the same thing by taken the time and geting the air out of the system plus u can do it urself and it Free.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

just run the engine with the cap off the rad until the T stat opens and you can watch the coolant rushing in the rad if you look inside(as stated earlier). once that happens close it back up and check your temp. if its still shooting higher than normal. more than likely your fan clutch isnt working properly. you should also take it for a drive after it cools down, if it overheats while driving too you have a rad issue/rad cap issue. this should help narrow down your hunt
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

What my buddy did to his stang having the same problem was jack up the front end a lil bit, opened the rad cap and started the car til the t-stat opened. You can see and hear the coolant gurgling, start pouring some coolant into it until it stays level in the rad. Apparently air gets trapped in the heater core and wont come out til you jack it up so the rad cap is above the heater core. Good luck, hope you get that fixed, overheating = BAD!!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Rambo

I tried squeezing the air out of the system but it still ran hot. I took the thermostat out and ran it without it, and car runs really cool, and builds up pressure now. This guy at work says my thermo was in backwards. I disagree, The spring side of the thermo goes into the engine, or manifold correct? Thats how I had it. The new 180 thermo must be defective or something.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

its common to have a defective thermostat, just replace it and try again.

when i redid my top end i have to go through 3 thermostats before i got one that worked (i had horrible luck that week)
Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

a system with air in it would lower the boiling point, making it run hotter, compared to a system that has no air in it. but the top hose should be warmer than the bottom... thats the way a radiator works, unless its a reverse flow system.

im guessing it has the right amount of coolant. check for leaks, and check the weep holes on the water pump... dont just throw parts at it like everyone else said

how long ago did you put that new radiator in? did you flush the system?
how do you know that its not building pressure? did you run a pressure test?

im just trying to get an idea of your car's condition
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

(sorry to jack the thread)I've got one for you I just got my car running again last thurs. and then drove it to school with no probs. but I left early cause I had a doc's. appt. (this was about a 50 mile trip) when I got to the doctor's office I shut the car off and started inside when I looked up under the car and seen water leaking out of the resovoir but the car never showed that it was hot it never went above the a on normal.when I started back home the car done just fine but again when I pulled into the yard and shut the car off there it was leakin again I can leave the car running and it won't leak and keep in mind that I did change the rad cap cause I thought that was the problem
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

so do you know where exactly its overflowing from? the cap? a hose? the overflow bottle?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

the bottle
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Az_bronco_rob

Did you over fill the bottle? It is normal for some of the contents to go into the bottle, then return to the radiator later on. If you totally filled the overflow then it will overflow!

Quick Reply: removing air from cooling system