5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Lifter going bad???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Angry Lifter going bad???

Ok, well I am pretty sure that one of my lifters is going bad. When I first start it up (sits in garage cause of Wisconsin winters) it ticks kinda loud on the left side as your looking at the motor. I only have 68,XXX miles on it should it be having lifter issues already??? After it gets warm it seems like it doesn't tick as loud its a different sound. Kind of a tick but kinda not I don't know. I am by no means a mechanic, I have done breaks and oil change and tie rod ends simple things like that.

Do I need to change it? Is it hurting my motor/camshaft?? Should I change it? If somebody does change it should they change all of them?? Should I change anything else since the whole motor is already open?? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

94 gt 5.0
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM
mastermic
1st Gear Member

Did you try doing a seafoam treatment on it, could be deposits, run 1/3 thru the breakbooster vacuum line while idling hot. After 1/3 of the can is gone shut it off put the vacuum line back on and let it sit 10 min. Next restart it and blow all of the smoke out it will take a few miinutes to blow it all out. It will blow white smoke everywhere. When its done it may fix your tick.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

I have no idea what a break booster vacuum line is. Blow the smoke out of what?? Start the car and white smoke comes out? I am confused man I am a computer networker not a car guy, I want to learn though. Is that dangerous to do?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
onebad88lx
1st Gear Member

no seafoam was made for boats and now they make it for cars trucks etc it cleans ur engine out the white smoke is the seafoam exiting ur engine to clean it out!Like he sed basicly its worth a try better than taring ur top end down!
And ur break boster is a big round thing on ur drver side on the firewall it has a big vacum line connected to it.Hope ive been a help.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Ok...are we talking a tick....or a knock? Like how loud we talkin here???Either way check the level of your oil, let us know.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

x2 maybe you could make a vid of it and post it?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
mastermic
1st Gear Member

good idea go to you tube and enter seafoam treatment not hard to do good vids there. Also my engine started pinging a little using low grade fuel with the good ol ethanol additive there putting in it. Switched to high quit pinging.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i think it is a tick well sh*t i am not sure. Like i said it goes away well gets not as noticeable. I am sure it is a tick though right by the headers and stuff its loud enough to hear it. Well you can always hear every little noise when its your car. I could get a video but how do i post it up here this site confuses me. Put it on you tube and embed the code in here or what? I cant even get a pic of my stang up here pisses me off. And what is the break booster?? I am thinking it must go into the engine. HA HA shows what i know. I will have to check the oil level. Just pisses me off 68 thousand and its ticking already common. I barely drive the damn thing.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

could be a slight knock though now that i think about it. What is the difference. Is it really bad? is a knock worse then a tick??
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

Yes..

Quick Reply: Lifter going bad???