MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   car wont start (alarm problem?) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/523316-car-wont-start-alarm-problem.html)

mcarr6262 03-10-2009 04:23 PM

car wont start (alarm problem?)

Ok, so i have a 92 5.0 GT that I let sit for over a month while I was out of town. I came back and attempted to start it and it wouldnt even turn over. Let it sit for about another month, and attempted to open the door, and the keyless entry wouldnt even work. I opened the hood and discovered that the battery had acid all over it. Cleaned off the connecters and replaced the battery.

Thats when the alarm started going nuts. making noises ive never heard it make. the doors did open and cd player and everything worked, but the car still wouldnt turn over when i went to start it. What the F is going on...Im assuming that its something to do with the alarm and maybe this isnt enough info to tell me anything but SOME or ANY help would be appreciated. Im trying to sell this thing and not being able to start it isnt going to help that.

Thanks

Chaoss84GT50 03-10-2009 06:18 PM

IS your alarm equipped with an ignition cut off option? Meaning if the alarm was set off then the alarm stops the signal from going to your starter? Any more information would be helpful my brother is a master installer at a stereo shop in MI and I can ask him for you.

sitruk 03-14-2009 02:39 AM

hey, not sure if you still have a problem with your alarm and car not starting. when i purchased my 87 gt it had an aftermarket alarm installed in it. it was doing the same thing as yours. i would turn the key but it wouldn't turn over. i could jump it directly at the coil but nothing else. so i opened up the wiring harness in the steering column and found where they had spliced into it. i then ripped out the entire alarm system, put the spliced wires back together, and i havent had a problem with it yet, just no alarm anymore

Chaoss84GT50 03-14-2009 02:52 AM

I talked to my brother today about this alarm problem. He said when he would install alarms for people they would request a "safety" switch. This is a switch that after the alarm has been tripped the switch has to be pushed in order to allow the car to start. The switch was wired in in order to not allow thiefs to steal the car even after the alarm had been disabled. He also said sometimes they would wire the safety to the glove box light so the glove box has to be open and light on to allow the car to start again. After the safety is pushed then the car will start as normal from then on. I hope this helps a little bit.

Nav50 03-14-2009 03:03 AM

I say just take the alarm system out, and get one wired in properly

Timspony 03-14-2009 07:12 AM

+1 on that ^^^^ ....Junk!