5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog failed..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
stangmanfifty

Default Smog failed..

Man., well i took my pony that has been non-op for a few months (no major reason why just didnt drive the car much so didnt want to pay insurance) and it failed! The mechanic which i have known for many years told me that i have 3 problems! 1. My egr is bad, 2. the gas tank must have a leak or something kuzz it didnt pass EVAP test( dammit this test was put as a mandatory law since 08') 3. At idle my car is running too rich which made it fail the emmisions test!

I dont know where to start on that Gas tank kuzz i dont want to pay the shop $100+ just to drop the tank when i can do that at home but like the guy said i need some sourt of smoke machine that finds the leak for me??
Also the emmisions part he told me to just do a tune up or something but i think its not that because plugs are good along with everything else?? The egr is not a problem!

You guys have any ideas, tips...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

too bad u live it cali..i wish i coudl help u out..in ct here anythig over 20 years old is exempt from emissions....we know it wont pass...cali is crappy!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

reset time and low as you can go this will help...

gas tank leak as in gas or vapors?
clean your egr?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

first and formost you need to run a koer test and check for any codes that'll indicate fuel control is off......as for failing the emissions, what did it fail for HC, CO CO2 OR NOX???? IF EGR WERE AN ISSUE NOX WOULD BE high, what was the report???, the only thing that controls evap on a fox is the purge selonoid and carbon canister, but if they run a leak test on the tank and it won't hold pressure, easiest way to find leak is smoke machine oh and as for timing , set it TO SPEC =10 DEGREES with spout out, your vehicle was designed to pass with such......if you try and lower/retard timing without knowing the cut point, to the feel the car will most likely still run fine and smooth but retarding timing below spec will begin to increase CO levels which is a direct result of partial cumbustion due to excessively retarding timing.

Last edited by mjr46; 03-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
stangmanfifty

Well i dont know much about the report but i do know that the smog emmisions not passing was HC. Also it did fail the gas leak test but for them to check it with a smoke machine which i dont have, can i just take them the gas tank instead of paying $100 so that i dont get stuck with laibor bill? I also sugg to the tech, maybe timing is off, and he said he didnt think so? **** man i got alot of trouble shooting to do i guess!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

i know in CT for the EVAP test its the actual gas cap that they test (i worked in a shop and did emissions for about 2 years, yeah it sucked). maybe buy a new gas cap if thats the case.
check the timing with a timing light, like mjr46 said 10* advance.

if all else fails, move out of cali lol.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
stangmanfifty

does it make a difference if the gas tank was on near empty..?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 AM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

you can retard your timing to 8 degrees, this way its retarded and still within legal limits, it will help you with hc. As far as egr problem check your vacuum hoses and see if the egr actually gets any. Evap test check your charcoal canister and the hoses leading to it, make sure they are not cracked or disconnected. Also check your fuel filler neck hose that goes in the tank mine was bad in my 94. Good luck and if you give me some readings I can help you more.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
stangmanfifty

Originally Posted by 94 G STANG
you can retard your timing to 8 degrees, this way its retarded and still within legal limits, it will help you with hc. As far as egr problem check your vacuum hoses and see if the egr actually gets any. Evap test check your charcoal canister and the hoses leading to it, make sure they are not cracked or disconnected. Also check your fuel filler neck hose that goes in the tank mine was bad in my 94. Good luck and if you give me some readings I can help you more.
Hey thanks alot! The smog shop i go to doesnt charge for smog's if it doesnt pass so i'am thinking about doing a tune-up and checking the timing to sea if its off, but i will make sure to right down all the reading's this time! O., he also used some sort of air gauge looking tool on the EGR and thats when he told me it was bad. As far as gas tank goes im going to drop it before the weekend smog test and see how the filler hose looks aswell as that canister which is right behind the gas tank right?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

run a koer test!!!!! high HC'S are a result of unburt fuel, which could be coming from a rich condition, or faulty devices such as o2's,ect ect as for evap, don't touch a thing!! have it tested to see where the issue is, by removing tank you may inadvertantly fix it or cause another issue, if you fix it cool, if you cause another issue= you'll be lost!!!

Quick Reply: Smog failed..