5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bad sounds (video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Need to change your oil. If you have water/coolant at the top of your heads, it's bound to have some in the oil pan. I think you need not take your car back to whoever it was that did your head gasket job. I'd be forced to take the heads off, take them to a machine shop and get them check for warpage. Clean to block and check it for warpage also with a straight edge and feeler gauge.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

well the thing is they messed up everything , i took everything off it was real real grimey when i blew my gasket like bad. it got to cold so i took my car to a shop to do the gaskets (damn boston winter) and i got bvack everything ****ed. they couldnt even start it, had to tow to my house.so far i re did my upper and lower mani jus to get it running. im not bringen it back tghere i can do it my self i jus need to be guided on the procuder to do everything. oil was changed after the **** was bolted back up but idk what the shop did now my back drain plug wont tighten or loosen it jus spins. , so i cant even fully change the oil again at this point.... oil in my dipstick doesnt look grimey or white at all. im thinken its just stuffed left over because they did clean my heads, but i dont know if theres any way to tell if the head gaskets on right. if i pull my heads off is it bad to leave the bare block sitting for a few weeks open?
thanks , a simple thing like a headgasket has turned out to be a real pain in the *** and have wasted alot of cash already and nothing really got done. it has me thinken if i should jus buy a new engine
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

could you get a better set of pictures of those two small pieces... like clear, and from different angles?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Seems to me that you will have to pull the heads off, and start over. You should not leave the block without heads on it for long, rust will form on the cylinder walls.

Pull heads, put new head gaskets on, use new head bolts, and as you go make sure everything is clean and flat.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

You can leave the heads off for a couple of weeks with no issues. Need to spray all raw metal parts with an oil. Like use some wd-40 and trans fluid and mix together almost like a 50/50 ratio. This is what alot of machine shops use to protect the fresh cut blocks and cranks. Cover the exposed engine so to keep it from weather as much as possible. I'd pull the lifters out while you got it torn apart and clean the crap out of them also.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
You can leave the heads off for a couple of weeks with no issues. Need to spray all raw metal parts with an oil. Like use some wd-40 and trans fluid and mix together almost like a 50/50 ratio. This is what alot of machine shops use to protect the fresh cut blocks and cranks. Cover the exposed engine so to keep it from weather as much as possible. I'd pull the lifters out while you got it torn apart and clean the crap out of them also.
thanks for the advice so far, im tink ima rip everything off again. i have a feeling the lifters is the source of problems because my pushrods have a bunch of black grime stuck to them looks nasty. any one have article or pitchures how to do lifter, ive never done them before, infact i dont even know how to get to them. seems like ti would be just as cheap to buy a new engine, i already coulda bought one with all the money i wasted. i just dont wana have a grimey *** motor stil after all this money spent seems liek a waste. ahh idk sudjustions?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Pull the lower intake and heads off. You will see this tin "X" shaped thing held down by two bolts in the lifter valley. Remove it and the bolts, save aside, will be needed later upon reassembly. The lifters will have a set of dog bones that are shaped like a letter "H" almost. Pull those out and set aside, save for reinstall. Just reach down in there and start popping the lifters out. It is real simple. Pay attention to how it comes apart so you put it back together the same way. If you can do an intake removal and install on an EFI 5.0, you can pull out the lifters too.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Pull the lower intake and heads off. You will see this tin "X" shaped thing held down by two bolts in the lifter valley. Remove it and the bolts, save aside, will be needed later upon reassembly. The lifters will have a set of dog bones that are shaped like a letter "H" almost. Pull those out and set aside, save for reinstall. Just reach down in there and start popping the lifters out. It is real simple. Pay attention to how it comes apart so you put it back together the same way. If you can do an intake removal and install on an EFI 5.0, you can pull out the lifters too.
what do i pull them out with. will they be far in , or wil i beable to get them with my fingers
Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

fingers or a pair of pliers if needed.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

fingers or a pair of pliers if needed.
well u puled the lower , the lifters look fine, i pulled one out and it looked brand new. im am stumped on what to do, and what to think theese noises are. maken me want to sell my car

Quick Reply: bad sounds (video)