5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bad sounds (video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Default bad sounds (video)

ok so i blew a head gasket and my car was running fine. i took everything off , it got cold so i sent it to a shop to bolt everything back up with the gaskets. i got it back and everything was messed up. i had to do the uper and lower intake mani fold over and time it, i jus got it running. and it sounds like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEqxoRDsZV8
does not sound good at all, i did not touch the heads yet. im guesing its something in the vauvle train. i really dont know. i havnt had my car for mounths and its pissen me off. does anyone have any idea what the sounds could be from the video. almost sounds like the camshafts hiting something
car runs fine(for now) lol and has no check engine light.

Last edited by rydinturbo; 03-13-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a terribly loose rocker or exhaust leak from the video almost.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Sounds like a terribly loose rocker or exhaust leak from the video almost.
the smog ports in the back of the head arent pluged in the video but i plugged them and it did little to nuthing. i opened the vauvle covers theres no signs of anything hitting the tops of them. non of the rockers seemed loose but i gues u never know.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I had a loose rocker at the track one time. I pulled the covers and ran my hand across them all and didn't feel anything loose so I was like WTF, I know something is loose up here. I grabbed a socket and ratchet, rolled the engine about 1/2 a turn and the loose rocker showed its evil head. I couldn't believe how loose it was, but still had enough lift to keep it bound up. Without being there in person, it is really hard to say what it is, but it sounded like valve train/exhaust leak to me in the video. But my hearing isn't what it should be either.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:04 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Are they stud mount or pedestal mount rockers.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Are they stud mount or pedestal mount rockers.
stock 89 5.0
Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

take another vid now that you plugged the smog ports

(kinda stupid to ask us whats wrong when we cant tell b/c of a stupid mistake like that)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
take another vid now that you plugged the smog ports

(kinda stupid to ask us whats wrong when we cant tell b/c of a stupid mistake like that)
its deff not jus an exhaust leak u can tel from the video. i pluged them it sounds almost no different at all. stil sam banging like metal on metal. i did not touch the lifters but it almost sounds like its coming from there
Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

^^^^^^^^ anyone
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

ok so i opened up my vauvles covers and was checken stuff, there was a good amount grime. it kinda looked like there was still coolant in my heads, it wasnt white and as sludgy as when i blew my head gasket but looked funny, hard to see it from the pitchure but the oil looked kinda greenish but not dark jus a tint.
i cant tell if its stuff left over from before or if my gaskets is still leaken, doesnt look like enuf to be but idk. . i started cleaning everythingg on one side it looks beter.
also this is probably bad but i found theese in my heads just sitting there

does anyone know what they go to, they where just sitting in there one in each head. are they soposed to be on part of the rockers or something? i have no idea i jus know its proly not good at all. my pushrods did seem a lil loose before i unbolted everything im hopen it was them but i have a feeling its my lifters, ima clean everything mabey retorque rockers and check it again. trying to decide if i should do head gaskets over and lifters well im at it.
btw heres a dirty pitchure of my dirty head ache.

Last edited by rydinturbo; 03-18-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: bad sounds (video)