5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

intake manifold questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

Default intake manifold questions

so i have done the cold air intake and the 75 mm throttle body and am looking into intake manifolds now. i am just looking to make my car a competitor on the streets, i dont plan on running tens at the track cause i dont have that kind of money to dump into a car yet. so should i go with the trickflow street heat or track heat and why?, and how long does it take to install a manifold. a garage told me six hours but i highly doubt that.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

For the price and performance and for your use, a Cobra would be the best to get.

6 hours is about right (working solo). There is a tons of stuff to swap over, that are usually in there pretty good.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

so if a professional garage did it....how long should it take?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 AM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Like I said 6 is about right for anyone who knows what they are doing.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

depends on what needs to be done, im sure if they have put that intake on that body style before, 2 hours it could be done.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctlazersplaya07
so i have done the cold air intake and the 75 mm throttle body and am looking into intake manifolds now. i am just looking to make my car a competitor on the streets, i dont plan on running tens at the track cause i dont have that kind of money to dump into a car yet. so should i go with the trickflow street heat or track heat and why?, and how long does it take to install a manifold. a garage told me six hours but i highly doubt that.
If your car still has the sock heads and cam don't waste you money. You won't feel any noticable differance. If you want to increase performance come up with a plan on what you want out of your car and start collecting parts. I would suggest looking into a good set of heads first then come up with the cam that fits your driving needs and then the intake that matches it. You can then do the install of all the parts at the same time and you will save yourself money. If you shop around carefully you can run into some really good deal on used parts. Learn to do these installs yourself. If you plan on owning a hot rod you need to know these things. I'm sure people here will jump at the chance to guide you through the process.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

if you have no mechanical knowledge at all you can get it done in 6 hours, if every thing there. Like portmaster said do yourself a favor and do it your self, in a ears time youll save you self alot of money and learn as well
Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 AM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

so you think i should wait till next year when i have a second car and can leave mine in my garage for a while and work on it there?...what would be a good head cam intake setup for me if i wanted to make it a competitive street car but was not looking to make it a track car?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

and if i install these myself....i dont need to take the engine out myself do i?...cause i dont have a lift for it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

h/c/i can be done with engine in the car, as for what is good?? what is your budget first?? and be realistic not cheap

Quick Reply: intake manifold questions