5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gear drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 AM
inzane01

Default gear drive?

Yes or no? I just put it in just hoping it was a good move.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

old outdated technology, can also transfer unwanted harmonics into the valve train.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

also loud and annoying.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'd run a plastic gear and chain before I put one of those POS in one of my own engines. It's for people who want to play make beleive "I've got a blower" Buy a decent 50 dollar chain.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
95 madness
1st Gear Member

One thing I haved learned is does it make you happy go with it. Yes the technology is old but dependable I also bet you will get tired of the noise it has after a while.We all learn from mistakes I have had both and I think I would have went back to a nice timing chain and gear set up but hey that is me. LOL if you want that supercharger sound I have 1 for sale for a fox body efi if anyone is interested in it pm me.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no to gear drives, get a decent double roller chain
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

Theres not a DAMNED thing wrong with a GEAR DRIVE!

Its accurate,reliable,and dependable.

And guess what?They dont wear out!I have some my old man ran way back when jesus was a boy and these could go right into any SBF and be ready for cross country.

Its very unlikely (NOT IMPOSSIBLE) that its going to transfer enough if any harmonic distortion especially in a street car.

I personally like them and as long as this guy isnt cruising up to lights pretending to have a huffer under the hood theres nothing wrong with it.

Bottom line is gear drives have been around for years and are tried and true youre fine run it and have fun.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Modular_Madness96

And guess what?They dont wear out!I have some my old man ran way back when jesus was a boy and these could go right into any SBF and be ready for cross country.

Its very unlikely (NOT IMPOSSIBLE) that its going to transfer enough if any harmonic distortion especially in a street car.

I personally like them and as long as this guy isnt cruising up to lights pretending to have a huffer under the hood theres nothing wrong with it.

Bottom line is gear drives have been around for years and are tried and true youre fine run it and have fun.
Back in the day before really good chains and people ran 50 weight racing oil they may have been OK. Times change.
Gear Drives just like anything else wear out. With todays oils and no pressure oiling on a gear drive you will get metal to metal contact and that transfers harmonics into the Valvetrain. There is NO GOOD reason to run a gear drive. Gear Drives are for Posers.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Modular_Madness96

I believe you are stating what you think and not what is known/proven through empirical data and research,
here is some reading material for you
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,406.30.html
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
90lxrider
2nd Gear Member

they are only cool if you have an old back halfed muscle car, with a big block that is only street driven...other than that...gay
another thing is keeping your timing set with those after a couple thousand miles the tends to flutter a couple degrees...(at least all the ones ive worked with)

Quick Reply: gear drive?