5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Steel vs. Aluminum Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Default Steel vs. Aluminum Flywheel

Hey everyone,

So here's my situation: I have a '94 5.0 and I'm doing an engine rebuild. I will be dropping in a 306 with H/C/I and other additional parts (MAF, TB, fuel injectors, pump, regulator, etc). I already have a Centerforce DF clutch installed, and I planned on getting a high performance flywheel to match it but I wasn't sure of the pro's / con's of steel vs. aluminum flywheels. I've searched this site but threads always stopped short of the info I was looking for.

My goals for the car are to have a streetable 12-second car (NA for now, POSSIBLY boost it in the distant future) that I intend to drag race and maybe even take it to auto cross. Basically I just want to have a 12-second car that I can still take out on the weekends and have fun with it around town, hug tight turns, etc.

Can anyone explain the difference between steel and aluminum FWs? Are there any specific questions I have to ask myself other than the ones I've answered in this post?

Thanks for the help!

-Chris
Old 03-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

I chose an aluminum flywheel because with less weight, it revs twice as fast. Seriously, you will notice that you can catch rpm's a lot faster. Plus, you can replace the center plate instead of buying another fw.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Aluminun is light weight and revs faster. Steel revs a little slower but has momentum and kept the engine at high rpm longer under load. Heavy Car is better with steel flywheel, Light car is better with Aluminum Flywheel.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Price! But I'd go aluminum if you can afford it. And if money is a factor you could always just resurface your old one if it's in good shape.. might cost ya 50$.

Last edited by cch; 03-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

So basically the car will go through the power band quicker? Do the RPMs revving faster yield more power and a faster 1/4 mile time?

Also, I've read a few posts that mention how the clutch will catch with an aluminum FW. Something about the clutch feeling like it's going to slip... can anyone elaborate?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by cepowers18
Also, I've read a few posts that mention how the clutch will catch with an aluminum FW. Something about the clutch feeling like it's going to slip... can anyone elaborate?
complete bull****... the clutch friction surface still rides on a steel face... your clutch action will not change, but you are effectively lowering the rotating weight of the engine, which inherently makes it easier to spin the assembly, therefor, creating a reduction in inertial parasitic HP loss
Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
complete bull****... the clutch friction surface still rides on a steel face... your clutch action will not change, but you are effectively lowering the rotating weight of the engine, which inherently makes it easier to spin the assembly, therefor, creating a reduction in inertial parasitic HP loss
So basically the car will go through the power band quicker? Do the RPMs revving faster yield more power and a faster 1/4 mile time?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM
cobrakiller347
2nd Gear Member

inertial parasitic hp loss.......nice lol i like that
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by cepowers18
you arent listening... you free up lost HP be lightening the parts that spin... the car is still going to accelerate the same.. but in nuetral you would see the engine rev quicker, because there is now less weight to spin
Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

you arent listening... you free up lost HP be lightening the parts that spin... the car is still going to accelerate the same.. but in nuetral you would see the engine rev quicker, because there is now less weight to spin
There's no reason to be rude about it, I'm simply clarifying your post.

So does this mean that you all are recommending aluminum for my purposes, or steel? I've heard what will happen with each, but not necessarily which one is better for certain needs/goals.

Last edited by cepowers18; 03-27-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Steel vs. Aluminum Flywheel