5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

XE276hr and 1.6rrs question

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by XPBaller
Thanks guys.. ill probably just install it straight up and call it good.. but you never explained to my why this cam needs the 1.7s.. i understand it increases valve lift but why would the cam call for a 1.7?

I guess ill change rocker arms, but Will I need to change anything else other than the rocker arms obviously when swapping the 1.7s in (like pushrods or shims) or will it just be a direct swap?
In Comps OTS line-up especially in the really popular grinds they offer up the same grind in two differant ways. One for 1.6 rockers and one for 1.7's. This particular cam is only ground for the 1.7's and it's for the guys that put the Cobra rocker arms on their cars. If it was ground for 1.6's it would have more lift ground into the cam to get the valve to open the same amount.

As far as pushrods they always need to be checked but in most cases you can change rocker arm ratios and still be centered up on valve. The sweep may change slightly but it's one of those things you really need to check because if it has the wrong rocker arms on it now I doubt if this was checked.

If you decide to skip the cam degreeing make sure you buy a good quality chain. Chances are with a really good quality chain that the cam timing will be close if not spot on. There is nothing to replace the peice of mind by degreeing it to be absolutly sure but in most cases a good quality chain will get you into an acceptable range. In all the cams I've installed over the last 15 years it's been a rare occasion that a cam didnt hit the mark in the straight up position. Before then it was just about manatory to have to move cam timing around to get it right. There are some high quality cams on the market and high quality chains that make it almost fool proof. So good in fact that I feel sometimes it almost a waste of time to put a degree wheel on. Cam Companies like Comp Cams have made me feel so confident that I would throw a cam in one of my daily drivers without degreeing it on a pushrod V8.

I end up degreeing it anyway because it's habit and I can't stand wondering about it. If I was in my brothers garage in the middle of Nevada while on a visit and was helping him install a new cam I wouldn't throw the brakes on the job for lack of a degree wheel and related hardware. If I knew I was going to be doing the job before I left I's take the stuff to degree it but it wouldn't stop me if I didn't have it. If it's off just a small amout either way you will just end up with more torque on the bottom or more top end power.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

ohhh i see so the advertised cam lift is measured WITH 1.7 rrs. so by using the 1.6s its actually taking a little lift away.

Well, with my combo, do you think i would get a performance gain from switching to 1.7s??? Im going to get the cobra lower ported soon too.

Also, somebody told me that cam has too much duration to be a good blower cam. Is this true or should i just forget about it and stick to this cam? Because 10#s of boost is in this cars near future.

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to learn [=

Last edited by XPBaller; 04-01-2009 at 06:46 PM.