5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bad TPS or TFI module??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default Bad TPS or TFI module??

In 1st gear the throttle acts as if it opening and closing real fast, making the car jerk back and forth. The thing that weird is that it doesn't do it all the time. Anyways, I have to replace something, its not going away. Im thinking tps sensor or tfi module, what do u guys think. Also, mjr helped me test the fuel pressure and it checked out fine.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM
kilby94
2nd Gear Member

Most of my surging issues have been related to faulty or out of range TPS sensors.. Clean your IAC and adjust your TPS to as close as you can get it to 0.98 VDC..
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

i've adjusted my tps to .98 twice and when i run codes I get a low voltage on tps. Im also wondering if its failing b/c of the hot gases from egr with no coolant lines hooked to tb. Does anyone know of a way to check tps w/o stabbing the green wire. I must have pokes that wire 10 times, maybe it shorted it out?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroeater
i've adjusted my tps to .98 twice and when i run codes I get a low voltage on tps. Im also wondering if its failing b/c of the hot gases from egr with no coolant lines hooked to tb. Does anyone know of a way to check tps w/o stabbing the green wire. I must have pokes that wire 10 times, maybe it shorted it out?
I think you have answered your own question......... BTSTDTRT. Setting the TPS to the mythical .9xx vdc value will not correct anything BTW. If the EGR is functional, reconnect the coolant lines......... that TPS is getting toast.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Ze2222
2nd Gear Member

Hi, not to jack this thread. So ur saying if you have the coolant lines off ur tb and have ur egr wrking you'll toast ur tps? I thought alot of guys run wit no coolant lines to tb. Can u just disable egr without gettin a code either? or am i wrong?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ze2222
Hi, not to jack this thread. So ur saying if you have the coolant lines off ur tb and have ur egr wrking you'll toast ur tps? I thought alot of guys run wit no coolant lines to tb. Can u just disable egr without gettin a code either? or am i wrong?
If EGR is disabled = no exhaust flow present at spacer/TB = no overheating of the spacer possible. EGR functional, you need the coolant hoses to prevent hot spots due to the flow of exhaust gases within the spacer. In order to have the EEC delete the EGR you need an EGR failure code....... the EGR sensor simulators will only cause a code 33 to be logged, it will cause the EEC to delete the EGR function, and not cause the CEL/MIL to turn on. The only exception would be in the SN95 logic, where the equivalent to a code 33 (332) does cause the CEL/MIL to turn on. Neither should cause any driveability problems though.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

i have an explorer intake and didn't tap the nipple in the lower to run the egr coolant lines. Joel, when you say the tps is getting toasted does that mean its bad or it will function properly with the coolant lines. Since i can't reconnect the lines, would i be better off deleting the egr until I can. Oh yea, does anyone know if i can use a 93 cobra tps. thanks everyone!

Last edited by camaroeater; 04-03-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

If you have the Cobra style intake = no EGR spacer used... you shouldn't have the heat problem. If you use an EGR spacer, with the coolant line ports, you need the coolant lines.

As long as there's no EGR induced flow within the spacer, no temperature problems should cause the TPS failure. If the TPS code continues to show after disconnecting and plugging the EGR valve vacuum line (delete EGR)..... the sensor is already damaged.... it needs to be replaced. LUK
Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Ok, i'll just unplug the EGR and plug the line and see if it goes away. Whenever i delete my egr, I the exhaust fumes are stronger, is this normal. Thanks alot Joel!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroeater
Ok, i'll just unplug the EGR and plug the line and see if it goes away. Whenever i delete my egr, I the exhaust fumes are stronger, is this normal. Thanks alot Joel!
They shouldn't be..... keep in mind that the EGR is only "active" at part throttle under partial load conditions, engine idling or @WOT... the EGR is taking a nap.

Quick Reply: Bad TPS or TFI module??