5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bad Harmonic Balancer. Whats involved in replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 PM
raj49

Default Bad Harmonic Balancer. Whats involved in replacing?

94 GT 5.0L Original post: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0-...-included.html.

I guess this is why I cant set ignition timing properly. Whats involved in removing? Do I have to remove the radiator. When reinstalling, do I need the puller tool or do I have to boil it? Just trying to get a better idea. Anyone point me to DIY or How-to? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I pulled the fan shroud, then I used a puller to remove balancer and just tightened the crank bolt to install it. Just remember to remove crank bolt, take off the washer, thread bolt back in to pull it. Also, i used a 24mm socket for the crank bolt.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
raj49

What do you mean by "thread bolt back in to pull it"? Removing or installing?
So dont use a 15/16 socket and just go with a 24mm?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

15/16 is what you need to remove bolt, and a puller to get the balancer off and hopefully the rubber is still in tight enough so that the puller just doesn't yank the ring off.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

remove fan shroud, take 15/16th 6side socket and remove crank bolt, then get up again, remove the serp. belt, then go back under, remove the crank pully, then take a balancer puller, put it on, remove the balancer using the tool, then done its off, take the new balancer, push it on a little with ur hands, dont use a hammer at all....... take the stock 15/16th bolt u removed before, put it on, then keep turning the bolt with a torque wrench until its torqued back down to spec and u can see its fully installed how the other one was, then just put the pully back on, put the belt on, put the fan shroud on and your done........
Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you fox guys amuse me...

we dont have a fan shroud.. hehe

OP.. the reason why they are telling you to "put the bolt back in" is because the hole in the front of the crank snout is a good 2" deep. if you attempt to use the puller without something in the hole, you may get it stuck, or damage the threads in the crank. That would be bad!

so, with the serp belt on, remove the crank bolt using a 15/16 socket.
remove serp belt
remove crank pulley bolts, and crank pulley
take the washer off the crank bolt, and thread it back into the crank (reason: as stated above)
use the puller to remove the balancer
Remove the bolt in the crank
slide the new balancer onto the crank snout, and gently hit it a few times with the palm of your hand to get it started. REMEMBER, the crank has a key on it, and the balancer... a key way! make sure you line them up!
put the washer back on the crank bolt, and reinstall it to push the balancer back onto the crank

reinstall everything else
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
15/16 is what you need to remove bolt, and a puller to get the balancer off and hopefully the rubber is still in tight enough so that the puller just doesn't yank the ring off.
The balancer puller pulls the center of the balancer and not the ring. The ring could be gone and the hub still pulls off easily

Last edited by Portmaster; 04-05-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Portmaster
The balancer puller pulls the center of the balancer and not the ring. The ring could be gone and the hub still pulls off easily
some people use the 3 jaw pullers instead of the bolt on ones
Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
some people use the 3 jaw pullers instead of the bolt on ones
You would have to pull the radiatior to get one of those big SOB's in there, lol You can pick up a cheap Balancer puller for 20 dollars. 5.0 fords don't have that tight a press fit so even a cheap puller would get the job done. About the only 3 jaw pullers I use on a balancer are on vehicles that the factory didn't have the thought to put a few bolt holes in and most of those grab internally and not on the ring. The 4.6 3V is a prime example.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
raj49

I got the large balancer bolt out and the crank pulley but not the balancer yet. I had to pry alittle on the pulley to get it off. New Pioneer Balancer is coming in tomorrow and I'll rent that puller. I havent had to remove the radiator fan. Will the puller fit or will I have to remove the fan assembly? BTW, its a 94 GT.

Quick Reply: Bad Harmonic Balancer. Whats involved in replacing?