5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

biggest cam or best cam for a pretty stock 302

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
fastfoxbody

Default biggest cam or best cam for a pretty stock 302

hey i got a pretty stock 302 the only thing really done to it is its punched out but not stroked or nething. i am putting a cam in it and i want the most out of it as i can until i get new heads. wut should i use or look at mind you this is a kind of budget car but still want good ****
Old 04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont bother until you get new heads
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
fastfoxbody

ok the real reason im buying a cam is bc i bought the car with the motor in it with a really really wiped lifter and cam so i have to get a cam ne way
Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

then pick a cam based on a future combo, but you'll need to know the heads and intake you'll use in the future, cam swap requires springs, locks and retainer upgrades to stock heads
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
dont bother until you get new heads
what he said. Until you're ready to do a full head/cam/intake swap you might be better off picking up a stock cam for cheap. Running an aftermarket cam in a stock 5.0 is a waste and will probably reduce your power output.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I have a factory cam I will sell you, I just pulled it out, 80k miles good lobes. $10 plus shipping
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

I would look in the advertised area of about 208-211 low 5s lift, the heads dont flow all that well.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

you can put a B303 cam in your car without changing anything. but the b cam is a tough idleing cam. if you have an auto. it will wanna pull through a redlight with a stock torque convertor. but i took a b cam out of my car and sold it to a friend of mine and he put in his car with stock heads, springs, retainers, locks, etc. it works fine. i mean every car is different but imo, youd be fine with a B cam. maybe an e cam but not sure.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

cam swap = spring upgrade , no if's ands or buts, for you guys who don't and think your rides are reaching the full rpm potential and that valvetrain is kosher, then you are clueless and have a lot to learn, stock springs are barely capable of supporting stock cam, go ahead and put a heavier spring on the stock cam, see what you achieve, the results may suprise you. but if you wanna use a b-cam with stock springs just to say you have a b-cam and a lumpy idle, go for it, cause that's all you'll have.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by mjr46
cam swap = spring upgrade , no if's ands or buts, for you guys who don't and think your rides are reaching the full rpm potential and that valvetrain is kosher, then you are clueless and have a lot to learn, stock springs are barely capable of supporting stock cam, go ahead and put a heavier spring on the stock cam, see what you achieve, the results may suprise you. but if you wanna use a b-cam with stock springs just to say you have a b-cam and a lumpy idle, go for it, cause that's all you'll have.
plus motha Freakin 1!!!

you gotta replace the springs with any cam you go with. ANY!

i had a B cam with stock springs and for a while it would pull to 6k but shortly after i had valve float and couldnt get past 4krpms. replaced the springs and got now i have a lumpy idle, little extra performance...but mostly a lumpy idle. LOL!! hence how i now have a comp cam xtreme energy. gonna make this ol' girl scream!

Quick Reply: biggest cam or best cam for a pretty stock 302