5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4banger Turbos vs. 89 Mustang

Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM
89Mustangn00b
1st Gear Member

Default 4banger Turbos vs. 89 Mustang

Ok a damn Honda Civic with Turbo barely beat me in the quarter. Yes it was an illegal race and not from stop, but still he did win. So that is unacceptable. If a honda 4 banger can beat me then I'm sure many more around me can. No I don't promote street racing but I dont condone it either. So my question is... I'm looking at the Paxton supercharger for my 89 GT H.O. NOVI 2000 - Hi Boost. Is this too much? Overkill? I'm not looking to dominate on a racing circuit on the Quarter Mile track. I just never want to lose to a 4banger turbo'd again. Is that too much to ask? Gotta represent American Muscle vs. Import with authority! So lemmme know what upgrades I should be looking to invest in.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

If your car is bone stock, then you can run the complete Paxton kit as is. It would be wise however to upgrade to 42lb injectors, a larger MAF, and a 255lph fuel pump(mandatory) and a tune. If you want to really move, an SC(with a 3.33 sc pulley or lower) kit plus UPR powerpipe, a Holley Systemax Intake manifold, full exhaust and 3.73 gears will take your car into the 12's(quarter). Check out some used kits too. I like the Corral. It's where I bought my used Vortech from.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273
Old 04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

if your goona go all out dont forget about the heads, if your using factory ones loose them for some nice afr or something btter then those e7's
Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

how much did he beat you by?? like a car, or car lengths, or bus lengths?? do you have any mods now, or basically a stock 5.0? if its basically stock, do a head/cam/intake swap with gears and that should be plenty enough for the street unless its a purpose built racecar running on the street. but you could also find a used s/c for that price, but then all the other things you would need too would add up fairly quick. just my opinion though.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grn N Gry 5OH
how much did he beat you by?? like a car, or car lengths, or bus lengths?? do you have any mods now, or basically a stock 5.0? if its basically stock, do a head/cam/intake swap with gears and that should be plenty enough for the street unless its a purpose built racecar running on the street. but you could also find a used s/c for that price, but then all the other things you would need too would add up fairly quick. just my opinion though.
I went the H/C/I route first and it did not satisfy at all. I wish I would have gone the SC route in the first place. For the price of a well thought out H/C/I(not a scrapped up GT-40 setup-which is decent), you could have a quiet sleeper in SC form(buy a used SC). A bolton SC car with better intake manifold will make more power than a very good H/C/I car. Plus installing a SC is waaaayyy easier than installing a H/C/I. Another route to go is turbo. B&G makes a kit for the Fox's for $2500(I believe). There stuff is top notch for the price. If the OP gets bored with the basic supercharger, a swap of the pulley and a powerpipe should remedy the situation.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:02 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
If your car is bone stock, then you can run the complete Paxton kit as is. It would be wise however to upgrade to 42lb injectors, a larger MAF, and a 255lph fuel pump(mandatory) and a tune. If you want to really move, an SC(with a 3.33 sc pulley or lower) kit plus UPR powerpipe, a Holley Systemax Intake manifold, full exhaust and 3.73 gears will take your car into the 12's(quarter). Check out some used kits too. I like the Corral. It's where I bought my used Vortech from.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273
with the mods you listed the car would dip way lower than 12's
Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
mastermic
1st Gear Member

Are you driving a stick or auto? My buddy has a v-tech turbocharged and I beat him 2 times we raced in the quarter with just,headers cold air intake and flowmasters on a 95 5.0 GT.(from launch)also could be the driver.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
89Mustangn00b
1st Gear Member

right now I do have a bigger cam in it. .512/.512... dont have the lift on it with my at the moment but I know its almost as much if not as much lift as you can get. GT-40 heads. Cold Air Intake. Adjustable rocker arms. Sum tuning and that's about it. He only beat me by half a car length, but it's how quick he caught up is what I didn't like. I have an edelbrock upper intake manifold to install and want to get a 70mm TB. I was thinking of just getting the basic 5-6psi boost S/C and 24lb fuel injectors. AND 4.10 gears in the rear. That's pretty much what I was looking at doing but wasnt sure if that would be enough. So I was looking at the NOVI 2000 High Boost. Lemme know.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

.512 is the lift of the cam. The fact of the matter is there are some good running Honda and other imports out there. When you step up to race sooner or later you get your azz handed to you buy something you least expect. It's the nature of Hot Rodding. My first run in with Nitrous Oxide back in the late 70's left me in a state of shock. One night a guy I had outrun every Sat night for a year (only about a fender to a car length) all of a sudden walked away from me like I threw the anchor out. The only way you will never again be outrun by a 4 cyl Turbo again is to stop racing.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If you want to see a bad azz 4 cyl Turbo check out Brunno Massel's Cobalt. Maybe it will give you some comfort

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4banger Turbos vs. 89 Mustang