5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Over heating - With VID!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default Over heating - With VID!

So this morning I hope in the GT and go to work. No problem. This evening I hope in the GT to come home and 5 minutes out the parking lot temp is at half, 8 minutes on the road temp is nearly at the top! I got it home, popped the hood and see water bubbling from the water pump! Never seen that before.

Can someone help me out with repairs? The video shows the hole in the water pump and you can see coolant on the floor.

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...1517-12-17.flv
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Looks like you need a new pump there pal. That's one of the places they leak when they go bad. Make sure you put in a new thermostat while you're at it
Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

^^^what he said the seal in your pump went bad
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

+1 Same thing happened to me last year, driving along noticed the temp going up; pulled into my driveway and KABOOM... prestone everywhere! Meziere Electric and haven't looked back.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I laugh every time I see a thread about overheating and they say, "It was overheating... but I got it home." This translates into: I DROVE IT WHILE IT WAS HOT! Just plain stupid. Usually, when a car is overheating, it's just a $9 thermostat or a $30 water pump... but if the dummy drives it with the temp gauge pegged instead of shutting it off and towing it home, it ends up being an expensive repair like head gaskets or burnt valves. I constantly drill into my GF's head to shut it down if it gets hot... I don't care if you're in the middle of the freakin' Bronx. J/K. Let us know how bad you damaged your engine by driving it hot. Fail toast.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
I laugh every time I see a thread about overheating and they say, "It was overheating... but I got it home." This translates into: I DROVE IT WHILE IT WAS HOT! Just plain stupid. Usually, when a car is overheating, it's just a $9 thermostat or a $30 water pump... but if the dummy drives it with the temp gauge pegged instead of shutting it off and towing it home, it ends up being an expensive repair like head gaskets or burnt valves. I constantly drill into my GF's head to shut it down if it gets hot... I don't care if you're in the middle of the freakin' Bronx. J/K. Let us know how bad you damaged your engine by driving it hot. Fail toast.
tha's exactly what I was thinkin but I didn't want to be rude lol.what I always do if my car starts to run hot is shut it off and coast to a place where I can check it out and see if I can fix it
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Oh, and I forgot to add that the water pump is most likey NOT what caused the overheating... but it is one of the things you damaged by driving it hot. See with the coolant "just a boilin' away" and you "just a keepin' on driving"... the pressures in the system got VERY high and blew the seal out of the water pump. Your hoses and radiator were under excessive pressure and you could've blown a hose and you may find a leak in your radiator in a few days because it's been weakend. Even if you don't think you caused damage because eveything seems OK... you have shortened the life of the engine because the cylider walls and rings have been exposed to extreme heat and the valve stem seals have been baked along with the valves and bearings. Rule #1 kids... if it gets hot, shut it down.... not in a few miles or at the next offramp or when you get home... but RIGHT - FREAKIN' - NOW!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

good rule of thumb debri lol
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

most likely what happened is the water pump has been slowly leaking and loosing coolant and i finally got to the point where it got low enough and had an air pocket and bam!!! overheatin' ya' go, replace water pump and t-stat and purge all air from system and hope you didn't blow a head gasket
Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Well I only live about 3 minutes from work, was on my way to another nearby place. I don't mind doing the repairs. Funny thing was, when I was heading home the temp gauge kept dropping and rising. It was at the top and then about 3/4 then at the top, then half, then at the top. That's when I started to head home.

So, new water pump and new t-stat? Any particular brand pump and t-stat? 180 degree tstat works? Are there improvements that can be made during this repair?

Last edited by bbbngowc; 04-16-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Over heating - With VID!