5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Removing Wheel Locks and Replacing 6 Piece Headlights

Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
dysfunction26
1st Gear Member

Default Removing Wheel Locks and Replacing 6 Piece Headlights

Is there a way to remove wheel locks without the key socket? My Mustang is sitting on 4 flat tires and there's no way to drive it anywhere. Also, how difficult is it to change out the entire light assemblies on the front end?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

they make a set of sockets for rounded off lug nuts that might work, but no promises. you could maybe rent some from Advance/Autozone and try that.

the light assemblies, not too bad. been awhile since ive done a set, but just take your time and find all the bolts that hold everything in. only problem i remember was my friend and i had a hard time on the passenger side for some reason...good luck.

i looked on Snap-On's website and couldnt find it, but i found it on Matco's website. its called a flute twist flip socket. just tell them you need a socket to remove wheel locks and u dont have the key. i KNOW they make them in 17mm and 19mm but i dont know if they make them in 21mm or 13/16(i think thats the right one) for our lugs. good luck
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
zeekstr
2nd Gear Member

Try McGard for wheel locks. Take a picture of your wheel lock and send it to them.
They cost about 14.95.
I believe it is mcgard.com???
Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
dysfunction26
1st Gear Member

Thanks! Do you think these would be large enough? The wheel locks have a smooth round outside, not sure if these would work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lug-N...motiveQ5fTools
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

those might work. the one you can clearly see says 13/16 on the bottom, so, it might work. i dont know. at least it sounds like you can reuse the locks with those. thats the only bad thing about the option i gave you. when you take them off with the ones i was talking about, you pretty much need new lug nuts or locks, although whenever ive done it working at shops, we had to do that, and the customers were fine with new lug nuts. i mean, they are only $20, so if they dont work, youre not really out anything major.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
dysfunction26
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grn N Gry 5OH
those might work. the one you can clearly see says 13/16 on the bottom, so, it might work. i dont know. at least it sounds like you can reuse the locks with those. thats the only bad thing about the option i gave you. when you take them off with the ones i was talking about, you pretty much need new lug nuts or locks, although whenever ive done it working at shops, we had to do that, and the customers were fine with new lug nuts. i mean, they are only $20, so if they dont work, youre not really out anything major.
Do you think I need locks, are that many people out to steal pony rims? I could see like $500 each rims being stolen, but used pony rims don't seem like a high risk.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

honestly, i dont know. i still have my locks on my car, but thats just because it came with them and i havent lost the key. if i were to lose my car, i probably would get new locks, just because my car is my pride and joy and its my daily driver, so, technically i NEED my car, but i also love my car and wouldnt want anything to happen to it. and i even live in a small town. i saw youre in Cali. popular part of Cali or are you kinda out in the rural area or kinda of a lesser known area. i mean, are there a lot of Mustangs around you? at least 4-lug? might not seem like a sought out item, but thats also because you do have locks on it currently. however, were you to not have them, do you think they would up and disappear? its all personal preference. i just have safety of mind knowing i DO have them and itd be more of a pita to get mine off....i think too much, i know. haha
Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
dysfunction26
1st Gear Member

honestly, i dont know. i still have my locks on my car, but thats just because it came with them and i havent lost the key. if i were to lose my car, i probably would get new locks, just because my car is my pride and joy and its my daily driver, so, technically i NEED my car, but i also love my car and wouldnt want anything to happen to it. and i even live in a small town. i saw youre in Cali. popular part of Cali or are you kinda out in the rural area or kinda of a lesser known area. i mean, are there a lot of Mustangs around you? at least 4-lug? might not seem like a sought out item, but thats also because you do have locks on it currently. however, were you to not have them, do you think they would up and disappear? its all personal preference. i just have safety of mind knowing i DO have them and itd be more of a pita to get mine off....i think too much, i know. haha
LOL. I live in a nice area, but it's still the city. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

yeah, thats how i feel too.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM
dysfunction26
1st Gear Member

yeah, thats how i feel too.
Have you ran your 92 at the track, if so, what kind of times does it pull?

Last edited by dysfunction26; 04-16-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Wheel Locks and Replacing 6 Piece Headlights