5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is this normal? Reguarding transgo shift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:27 PM
RedStang92

well i just left the tranny shop AGAIN, and he did some adjusting which helped the 1-2nd shift to shift a little sooner but still wont shift at WOT and such, i got on the phone wit transgo and they talked to my tranny guy and gave him like 5 things to test i cant really read his hand writing but something like this - Line pressure, light throttle, 18mph throttle, tv pressure, and theres more but cant read it.

well after i left today and he did some adjusting he dose not have time to do these tests and would be a hassle, so he refunded me my 212$.

so now i guess ima have to go to a different tranny shop and use that money towards someone fixing it. :shruggs:
Old 05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedStang92
well i just left the tranny shop AGAIN, and he did some adjusting which helped the 1-2nd shift to shift a little sooner but still wont shift at WOT and such, i got on the phone wit transgo and they talked to my tranny guy and gave him like 5 things to test i cant really read his hand writing but something like this - Line pressure, light throttle, 18mph throttle, tv pressure, and theres more but cant read it.

well after i left today and he did some adjusting he dose not have time to do these tests and would be a hassle, so he refunded me my 212$.

so now i guess ima have to go to a different tranny shop and use that money towards someone fixing it. :shruggs:
sounds to me like he knows what happened and is sending you on your way because he doesnt want to deal with it.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

If I were you, I would get it to a tranny shop asap. A shift kit can be installed by most backyard mechanics in a couple of hours, so I don't know what this tranny shop did???. If it were me, I would go to the local auto parts store, and buy a cheap mechanical oil pressure guage, and hook it up to the TV port on the passenger side of the transmission, to see what my TV pressure is at idle. It should be between 1 - 5psi, and it should immediately go up at the slightest increase in throttle. If the throttle moves and the TV pressure doesn't immediately move, TV is not adusted properly and you're gonna fry your transmission quick. Remember what I said on a previous post, too much pressure won't hurt you, too little can be catastrophic. On my Son's F150 4X4, I installed a permanent guage under the hood using an oil pressure guage with copper tubing, so I can easily check it periodically (it goes out of adjustment with the carb and Lokar cable set-up)
Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 PM
RedStang92

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
If I were you, I would get it to a tranny shop asap. A shift kit can be installed by most backyard mechanics in a couple of hours, so I don't know what this tranny shop did???. If it were me, I would go to the local auto parts store, and buy a cheap mechanical oil pressure guage, and hook it up to the TV port on the passenger side of the transmission, to see what my TV pressure is at idle. It should be between 1 - 5psi, and it should immediately go up at the slightest increase in throttle. If the throttle moves and the TV pressure doesn't immediately move, TV is not adusted properly and you're gonna fry your transmission quick. Remember what I said on a previous post, too much pressure won't hurt you, too little can be catastrophic. On my Son's F150 4X4, I installed a permanent guage under the hood using an oil pressure guage with copper tubing, so I can easily check it periodically (it goes out of adjustment with the carb and Lokar cable set-up)
idk, he went threw the instructions with me and like explained everything. but i did get all my old parts back, and he did refund me my money.. i just been drivin as little as possible cuz id like to get it looked at cuz somethings not right.. and hes adjusted the tv cable twice, yesterday before he refunded me he did 1 last adjustment and it shifts a lot earlier then it did from 1-2. it shifts at like 2150-2200 rps . but ya idk.. ima needa get it looked at it cant be that expensive . also when i called transgo tech support he said because i have stock gears it could not kick in the governor to shift at 5k rpms.. or plain and simple they messed up. but as of right now thats only thing wrong is it wont shift at WOT.. so idk. Lol