5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

headlight problems help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:20 AM
snowmobiler7c

Default headlight problems help!!!!!!!

I have a 88 GT convertible with the 5.0L. The car does have fog lights, My problem is all my lights (headlight, parking lights, fog lights) work when i first start the car and drive it but after the car warms up sometimes 5 to 15min my headlights go out and wont stay on. All the other lights seems to be working. I have heard this was a problem on the fox body cars with fog lights but what how can it be fixed??? thanks
mark
Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

are you trying to run he fog lights too when this happens?? if so the fog lights curent feed was tapped off the head light feed from the multi function switch, what happens is to much current draw overloads the switch and ends up melting wiring back to the fuse box, inspect all wiring back to the fuse box ,if okay up out by the left headlamp is the split for the power to the fog lamps and I cut the power feed there and wired in a relay so all the fog lamp switch is doingnow is carring a small amount of current to triggr a relay and the load the relay carries from a direct wire to battery.....if problem still persists afterwards it may have already damaged the multi-function switch and you may need to replace it.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
snowmobiler7c

Yes i have been running the fog lights when this is happening. I took the switch out today and the connector is somewhat melted but the wiring looks ok. Ok im pretty much electrial dumb lol. But from what i understand you are tracing the wiring by the left headlight and cutting the power wire off that goes to the fog lights. But what exactly do i need to do to wire in a relay. Im sure i can do it if i understand correctly. I have successfully installed the msd ignition, lightbars, and sirens to my truck but i had directions for dummies. thanks i appreciate the help. I will try to inspect the rest of the wiring and at least order a new connecter that isnt melted.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

both of the fog lights power wires y into 1 single wire feed, just get down under the bumper and follow wiring up until it becomes 1 wire, snip it there, leave the black wire for the grounds untouched, just T/O gets cut , buy a 30 amp relay use pin 85 and 86 for relay trigger and 30 and 87 for load = run 30 direct to battery and 87 to the fog lights with 85 you can take the T/O that you just cut that is coming from the fog light switch and run it to 85 pin on relay and pin 86 on the relay to a ground......presto all done, now all the fog light switch is used for is to trigger the relay which requires on a small amount of current and prob solved
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
snowmobiler7c

thank you very much for the input i will order up that connector get the relay and sounds like it should be a pretty quick/realitively easy fix. Thanks alot
mark
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

mine took me about an 1 hr to do, only because I like my wiring neat and hidden
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 PM
snowmobiler7c

ok sweet an hour or so would be great. Just to make sure i understand correctly the only think i was thinking you said 87 would go to the foglights by that you mean the switch on the dash correct??? other than that after looking at a relay it looks simple. Also where is the best place to hide the relay?? thanks again i appreciate your input
mark
Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
snowmobiler7c

ok i am confusing myself i guess i just read over it a couple times and i think i figured out what i was missing. What you meant was once i cut the wire going to the foglights under the bumper the 87 will go directly to that wire powering the foglights and the 85 will go to the other end of the cut wire, opposite side of the y split
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

correct then 86 to ground and 30 to the b+ on the battery.....30 and 87 are the load circuits so you could technically reverse the two, but we'll leave it as I illustrated so as to not confuse you
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

all the fog light switch will now be doing is supplying current to the relay windings to pull them in to bridge the contact terminals between 30 and 87

Quick Reply: headlight problems help!!!!!!!