5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

water pump changing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
smacked1
2nd Gear Member

Default water pump changing

so this weekend i will be changing my water pump it seems to be leaking right at the gasket/seal where it meets the motor so instead of just doing the gasket i am just replacing the water pump ive never done one on a ford or a 5.0 for that matter, is there anything i need to know or look out for?

maybe a tutorial lying around? i have a 1991 5.0 LX Hatch, 306 and the works

i will also be changing my oil to full syn and my plugs all at the same time i figured i get my maintenance out of the way all in one
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

The gasket set will come with several gaskets. Make sure the right one goes on.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Also make sure to put gasket sealer on the gasket that goes between the plate and the pump.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM
smacked1
2nd Gear Member

ok good deal, it looks easy to do i picked up a new waterpump and some grey rtv
Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahittz24
Also make sure to put gasket sealer on the gasket that goes between the plate and the pump.
+1 on this peice of advice.

The reason I'm telling you about the gaskets is that many of them look right but won't be.

I put coolant in my engine just the other day after busting it off. I had about 45 minutes of dyno time on this engine already but was run in with an electric water pump. I looked down and saw coolant pouring out from behind the timing cover where it met the block. I drained it quickly and pulled the front oil drain plug just to make sure if any coolant made it's way to the inside it was going to come out of the pan.

I pulled the timing cover and saw the gasket had sealed as it should so I was scratching my head a little on this one as it had run flawlessly and leak free on the dyno. I went ahead and pulled the water pump KNOWING that there wasn't a problem. Turns out the gasket I installed on the pump didn't quite line up with the cover and was leaking from the top of the pump and running down two grooves in the timing cover added in to drain off. I ran to town and picked up a new Felpro Timing cover gasket set that had 5 water pump gaskets in it. After triple checking this time all was fine. I spent three hours pulling off my timing cover and reinstalling it from being fooled by a water pump gasket. Ive been doing this much to long to get fooled so easily but it's those things that keep your ego in check.

My point here is really make sure the water pump gasket is right. The one I used came with my Victor Water pump. The right option wasn't in the box with the pump. When checking use the timing cover as your base. I was using an aftermarket cover and it fooled me. I spent at least an hour of that time thinking "You #*@!ing idiot", lol
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Personally, I never use the water pump gasket. I just use "the right stuff" gasket maker (silicone) and place a bead all along the water pump and around the bolt holes. It seals like cement and I'm yet to have a leak on the three that I've done.