5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Guy here, first post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Bossman27

Default New Guy here, first post.

Hello, I just joined the forum and wanted to say hello. I also have some questions. First off I'll tell you about my cars. I have a 69 Mach 1 and a 92 5.0. Obviously we'll be talking about the 5.0. I bought the car 10 years ago and it was my daily driver for about 2 years. It's been in storage on and off and only driven in nice weather since then. I'm finally getting around to doing something with it again and wanted some opinions. Here's what the car has done already and most of this work was done before I owned the car.

3.55 rear gears (traction-loc/posi)
subframe connectors
Upper and lower control arms - ford racing
Lowered 1 inch
Koni springs and shocks (not sure about stiffness but it rides like a truck and corners very well)
Big front and rear anti-sway bars.
Urethane bushings

Cold air intake
aluminum 4 core radiator
electric fan
Gt-40 iron heads
Headers and 2.25" X-piped dual exaust
MSD ignition box
MSD coil
Hurst Shifter (it's a T-5 manual)

I'm running synthetic fluids throughout the car.

That's about it, at least that's all I can think of. Anyway, as you can see the car has no brake work done. Also the car has developed a drivetrain vibration, it's slight but it feels like the driveshaft. My philosophy is that if I have to work on something I may as well upgrade it if I can afford it. I know there are aluminum driveshaft assemblys out there, has anybody had good luck with those? Is there any noticeable difference in how the car feels? Also, what are some recommended brake upgrades? I'm not rich by any means but I can afford decent stuff. Anything is better than these stock brakes. I appreciate the input and hope I learn a lot being here. Also, the car has been in storage for 3 years so a good tune up is probably in order. I'm going to check the timing and so forth and probably clean the injectors.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
1mean5.0
2nd Gear Member

Try mustangsunlimited.com they have a a lot of different brake upgrade kits.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
1fast5OH
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the forums! my car had an aluminum driveshaft on it when i bought it, its extremely light. i'm not sure you would feel a seat of the pants difference, but it might stop the vibration. www.latemodelrestoration.com has a ton of o.e.m and aftermarket parts, i have always had a good experience with them. sounds like you have a pretty solid ride by the way.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

welcome! I second the aluminum driveshaft choice. look into a 5 lug conversion and you can run disk brakes all the way around too! do you have any pictures of your cars?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so describe the vibration, when does it occur...so you may be throwing good money after bad
Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Bossman27

Hey thanks for the responses. I'll look into those websites when I get home. Yeah the car isn't a worldbeater or anything (yet!) but it runs pretty good. I did a pass at the dragstrip and did a 14.50. I spun on the line and I'm probably not the worlds best driver either, so who knows how fast it could go with good tires and driver, probably 14 flat. The last time I drove it on an extended trip and kept my foot out of it it got around 25 mpg, which I think is pretty good for a V-8 car. I took it out of storage 3 days ago and found that the smog pump had locked up. I've been looking for a reason to get rid of that so my Napa guy is ordering me a shorter belt to put on. Once I get it on the road again and cleaned up I'll see about getting some pictures posted.

The Vibration is around cruising speed on the highway and I can feel it coming up through the floor. It keeps vibrating even when I push the clutch in to coast. I'm almost positive it's the driveshaft. I've read though that when I put in the new aluminum one that I need a spacer between the rear U-joint and the differential, is this true? I thought the driveshafts were the same length? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
nandoch90

As far as the 5 lug conver... my has a 5 lug convers.. but the e brake doesnt work! what do i do now?!?! the cable isnt cut or anything just not tension on rear brakes!

any ideas?!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by nandoch90
As far as the 5 lug conver... my has a 5 lug convers.. but the e brake doesnt work! what do i do now?!?! the cable isnt cut or anything just not tension on rear brakes!

any ideas?!
is the cable even attached? is it a drum convert, or disc?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
nandoch90

from drum to disc! i think its missing a peice though because when the e brake is applied it moves just nothing is connected to it!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/DSC04415.jpg

Last edited by nandoch90; 05-07-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you are missing the C clip that holds the cable into the caliper.

see the hole that the cable goes through? there is supposed to be a clip there

Quick Reply: New Guy here, first post.