5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
86GT5.0LHO

Exclamation Can anyone help?

I drove my 86 5.0 the other day and heard a slight knocking sound. I get home, shut the car off, tried to restart and the starter spins, but no distributor movement. so i thought it could be a rod. so I tore the motor apart im down to the heads, headers, block, timing gear cover. I already stripped the rods and rockers out. but I cant seem to figure out how to get the heads off, or the timing gear cover. I have tooken out everybolt I can see. the oil pan is still on there, trying to figure out how to get it, since its an over the crossmember kind. any help.? Thanks. If anyone in NC, Davidson area that knows 5.0L well. give me a shout, Please. I des. need help. If I cant find anything wrong. then Ill build it back non-stock. Thanks again
Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM
95greengt
3rd Gear Member

there are bolts for the timing cover that go through the oil pan on the bottom of the cover, its the first two bolts on both sides of the motor, does your car have a smog pump still? if so there are tubes that are bolted to the back of the heads that will need to be removed ... hope that helps ya out
Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

now I could be wrong but I think you prematurely tore the motor apart without further diagnosis, when you say the starter spins over......are you sure it was engaging the flywheel?? that would be confirmed by watching the crank pulley spin, if that were spining then next step would of been to pull distributor and inspect roll pin on dizzy gear for not being sheared and if that weren't sheared crank the motor over and look down into the dizzy hole and see if the cam gear rotates, if not = possible broken timing chain
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
86GT5.0LHO

i found the problem, the starter broke apart and cracked the flywheel