5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI Tuning/motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Default EFI Tuning/motor questions

Sorry this is a long read, I built my motor a year ago and basically did a stock rebuild with no intentions of power adders in mind. Then the performance bug hit me and I pulled the engine back out and put in a comp cams 281HR Magnum EFI cam, GT40 heads, and proform 1.6 roller rockers.

Supporting mods are as listed:
24lb injectors
BBK Adj FPR
Cobra intake
C&L 76mm MAF (with 24lb sample tube)
BBK CAI
BBK Equal length shorty headers
70mm Edelbrock TB

I aquired a Zex Dry kit for a great price and installed it on my vehicle, however I have not used it yet due to the following:

When I did the engine rebuild, Cast pistons (Sealed Power 517CP) were used. I know that nitrous+cast pistons=fail

I purchased Speed Pro ZL2488F20 Forged Pistons and ZE458K20 Piston rings to fix this problem and prepare the motor for the nitrous application. I will pull the motor at the end of May to install these, my question now comes down to head gaskets. I am looking at FelPro Performance head gaskets Z1011-1 and Z1011-2. Would these gaskets be well suited in a nitrous application? I also plan to port the lower intake and clean the upper a little bit.

Next, I was talking with the guy who will be tuning my car (Chris Tuten) and I explained what I was doing and that I had been told to ditch the dry kit and go with a wet kit because its safer. He advised that I get 42lb injectors, the correct sample tube, and 255lph fuel pump and then bring it to him with a tweecer and he can run a street tune on the 42lb injectors so it would not run rich and he can also run a nitrous tune and get more power from a dry kit than a wet kit and utilize the 42#'s. Does this sound correct?

Last, the cam that I have, would there be a better one for the nitrous application? Or am I fine with the cam I have already installed?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

camshaft innovations...talk to jay allen. he will grind you a perfect camshaft for your exact setup. maybe send your heads away for some major porting work and buy a good intake manifold like edelbrock performer or holley systemax. tweecer is OK...
Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

but yeah, that does sound right. those fuel mods he advised are definately safe and smart to run a wet kit over a dry kit.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I dont think you comprehend what I was saying. I am running a Dry kit, not a wet kit, hence the need for more fuel. I have talked with Jay Allen, he told me that the cam I have is what he would recommend. Whats wrong with the cobra intake? It is 10x better than stock and can be ported to support well above 425 hp. Stock rating it will support 350hp.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

TTT..
Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

if you want to have your heads and intake ported go for it. they still arent as good as an edelbrock or holley intake. it's stock stuff man you can't expect too much from parts that came off factory ford vehicles
Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

with the money you will have into a stock intake with porting, you could just get a better aftermarket intake.

Depending on the size shot you will be running, I'd advise a set of 30# or 36# injectors.

42# injectors are known to be a little bit for a smaller build that isnt boosted. You may run into poor low RPM issues with 42# injectors.

also, if you do not already have a tweecer, you should ook into the Moates Quarterhorse. It uses the same software as the tweecer, gives the same amount of tunability, can be edited REAL TIME, and is half the price
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Adder, I will look into the Moates Quaterhorse along with 36lb injectors. I plan on running a 125-150 shot. I have heard about fuel pooling in the intake with a wet shot and thats why I want to do the dry shot with larger injectors.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by ahittz24
Thanks Adder, I will look into the Moates Quaterhorse along with 36lb injectors. I plan on running a 125-150 shot. I have heard about fuel pooling in the intake with a wet shot and thats why I want to do the dry shot with larger injectors.
fuel puddling IS an issue, however, a large dry shot like that isnt exactly smart.

Get a plate kit for the intake you are running, run wet, and you wont have ANY problems with pooling.

Quick Reply: EFI Tuning/motor questions