5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
89blue5.0
1st Gear Member

Default 2 Questions

I have 2 hopefully simple questions for the experts.

#1 - I bought new tail light lenses, how do you remove the old ones and install the new ones? I don't see any screws and I didn't want to pull on them too hard and break the tail light assembly.

#2 - My car has an AOD and 3.73 gears. I bought a new speedo gear for this combination, how/where do you install it?

Okay I lied, I have a third question.

#3 - I got my car back from the paint shop today. I purchased a steel 2" cowl hood since I was having the car painted. The car was in an accident 19 years ago. When the new hood was installed the body man had trouble lining up the hood so that it would latch. We got it on, but the rear driver's corner is raised and doesn't sit flush with the cowl, kind of annoying to look at while driving. Is there any adjustment I can make? The hood hinge has two bolts on the car but the holes don't look like they have any adjustment. I had a thought of removing it and slotting the holes but didn't know if this would open up a bigger can of worms.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by 89blue5.0
I have 2 hopefully simple questions for the experts.

#1 - I bought new tail light lenses, how do you remove the old ones and install the new ones? I don't see any screws and I didn't want to pull on them too hard and break the tail light assembly.

did you get the complete tailight assemblies? or just the lens
if you got the complete assy. the screws are in the interior behind the trim panels

if you got just the lens you just pull them straight off they will come off(there are clips and butyl tape holding them on)

#2 - My car has an AOD and 3.73 gears. I bought a new speedo gear for this combination, how/where do you install it?

you crawl under the car, on the end of the transmission on the drivers side your speedo cable goes in. there is one screw that holds the cable in remove it and pull the cable out. on the end of the cable there is the gear which is held on by an Eclip you just pop it off with a screwdriver etc. then the gear will slide off the end. then you take your new gear slide it on and add your Eclip insert it back into the trannys tailshaft install the holdown and the screw and your done

Okay I lied, I have a third question.

#3 - I got my car back from the paint shop today. I purchased a steel 2" cowl hood since I was having the car painted. The car was in an accident 19 years ago. When the new hood was installed the body man had trouble lining up the hood so that it would latch. We got it on, but the rear driver's corner is raised and doesn't sit flush with the cowl, kind of annoying to look at while driving. Is there any adjustment I can make? The hood hinge has two bolts on the car but the holes don't look like they have any adjustment. I had a thought of removing it and slotting the holes but didn't know if this would open up a bigger can of worms.

Thanks in advance.

fiberglass doesnt fit the best in the world, you can try playing with the adjustment its trial and error more than likely you will make yourself mad, idk if you have hood pins or not but if you were having latch problems id add some. personally i will not have a glass hood without pins, i see it all to often people having their hoods fly up when the glass latch fails and gets ripped off the underside. and when that happens it bends the cowl up busts the windsheild and dents the roof not fun
Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 AM
89blue5.0
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply.

I just bought the lenses. I started pulling on them but didn't want to break anything. I will try that again.

The speedo gear sounds easy enough, thanks.

I didn't want a fiberglass hood. The one I bought is steel and uses the factory latch.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i replied just in time for you :P i couldnt sleep worked out for you i guess lol
Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

The car is probably bent from the accident. Adjustments are ok for minor imperfections but it's all a band aid with a bent car.