5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need your expertise! (mechanical or e-FAN)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Default Need your expertise! (mechanical or e-FAN)

On my '66, in the process of swapping in the 5.0L EFI. I live in Dallas...so it gets HOT.

I am looking for the best way to cool my car. I have read all the posts, did research etc, but still find myself at a loss...or CONFUSED!!!

Some folks tell me that the stock thermal clutch and orginal fan on the 1993 5.0L will work just fine. Just use my 1966 shroud and I'll be good to go. Also, less worry about electrical problems, etc. down the road.

Others, state that electric is the way to go. I know that I'll have less drag and more HP with an electrical fan which is always a plus!! However I do NOT want a loud fan. I do not know which fan to get if I went this route. There are SO many manufacture choices for e-fans that it makes you dizzy. I just want a quite one and a productive one!!!

I have a new 17" aluminum two row radiator which I am told a 2 row aluminum is the same as a 4 row copper, etc. Like I said before, I also still have the factory '66 shroud.

Part of me wants to take the easy way out and just go buy a new thermal clutch and new stock fan. But is this the BEST way to go?

If you were me....would you just go out and buy a new thermal clutch and a new stock fan? OR...would you ditch the mechanical and go electrical? This is a 1993 GT 5.0L that I am transplanting into my 1966 Mustang.

Sorry for another 'fan' and 'cooling' question. However I know this is the best place to turn to for good solid advice. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out!!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

E-fan.... dual if possible.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 AM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

I would think that an aluminum 2-core radiator would be worse at dissipating heat than a 4-core copper given that aluminum has over 3 times the heat capacity of copper. This doesn't mean that it's bad at cooling, it means that the metal takes more energy(heat) to heat up and longer to dissipate that heat. This means with a aluminum radiator you're going to want more airflow and higher heat capacity coolant. Most people get an aluminum radiator to shed a few pounds and save space(if they know why they're getting one).

I would get a 180º degree thermostat & an electric fan with the highest CFM possible. Get an adjustable thermostatically regulated fan switch, set it to ~ 182º.

As far as reliability, Mechanical systems are only more reliable if you do a shotty install of an electrical one, wire it correctly, use the correct fuse and you'll be fine.

Also, if you're going to completely overhaul I'd say you want to go with a Propylene Glycol Coolant(red) instead of a Ethylene Glycol Coolant(green). Given that you're in a hotter climate you're not going to run into the kind of viscosity issues us people up north run into in the winter. The PG will hold the heat a little longer, allowing it to transfer the heat to the radiator more effectively, this will give you a smoother heat curve meaning it will cool up and cool down slower.

+PG is much less toxic as it's an organic compound, if you're a dog lover...

Last edited by LCBlackDep183; 05-22-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

There are many cars running in really hot climates running mechanical clutch type fans and cooling just fine. The thing here is a good shroud. If the engine is RPM limited I personally rather have the mechanical fan. Seal the edges of the shroud and a clutch fan will do you fine if thats what you rather run. I'm not crazy about running mechanical fans over 6000 rpm. Clutch fans arn't the HP robbers that the Hard fans were. As far as failures go, they all fail sooner or later. Give the electric a good ground and a good solid power source and it will last for years.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:08 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Thank you all, great help. Any recommendations on e-fan manufactures? How about Zirgo?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:11 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Also, dumb question...should I get a puller or pusher? Wasn't sure on these reverse flow engines.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

puller
Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
88vertstangdan

Default Spal

Spal fans r the best the come standard on Lambo's ferrari's any exotic car very good fan, Be Cool the company i work for only sells spal fans woth every radiator we sell so if interested definitely go with Be Cool Radiators
Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
scatfox331
1st Gear Member

i run dual electric fans on my 91 fox with a wide core 2 core aluminum radiator and i live in phx az and if i run the ac only gets to 210 no ac it could be 120 out side and it will run no hotter than 190. ive had them on my car for threee years and havent had a problem. jus make sure that u have some kind of shroud so you pull air through the radiator and not jus from the side of the fan.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Dual fans = larger amperage draw. A concern unless your alternator is upgraded. A good single fan can do just as well as a dual.

Quick Reply: Need your expertise! (mechanical or e-FAN)