5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 AM
RedStang92

Default Help with suspension

okay, well once i get my car out of the tranny shop on tuseday from a fresh rebuild, i wanna start doing some suspension work. my friend said somthing about doin 4cyl mustang springs and stuff for the front but im lookin to buy a whole kit or package.. i guess he was telling me to get them because they are lighter and will help my launches and help with gettin my front wheels of the ground. but any advise will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

before you even THINK about taking your suspension apart. you need two things...

A plan: What do I want my car to be set up for? Street, Strip, Road Course?

A budget: How much do I want to spend on my suspension.
I'll tell you right now. You can get a full suspension (shocks, struts, sway bars, springs, and rear control arms) for around $600. Are they worth it. I do not think so... Especially since I have taken that $600 worth of parts, and removed it from my car because it did not give me the performance I wanted.

Conversely, you can spend $4000-$5000 buying a full "kit" from companies such as MaximumMotorsports, or Griggs.

so, figure out what you want, and how much you want to spend... then get back to us
Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
RedStang92

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
before you even THINK about taking your suspension apart. you need two things...

A plan: What do I want my car to be set up for? Street, Strip, Road Course?

A budget: How much do I want to spend on my suspension.
I'll tell you right now. You can get a full suspension (shocks, struts, sway bars, springs, and rear control arms) for around $600. Are they worth it. I do not think so... Especially since I have taken that $600 worth of parts, and removed it from my car because it did not give me the performance I wanted.

Conversely, you can spend $4000-$5000 buying a full "kit" from companies such as MaximumMotorsports, or Griggs.

so, figure out what you want, and how much you want to spend... then get back to us
well, 500-1000 is a good price, my car is a fun dd car, mainly gonna be street, and maybe track every now and then but for the most part its gonna be street.

i found a eibach kit on summit for around 600. but maybe there's better that's why i'm asking
Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

buying a suspension "kit" and getting the cheaper stuff, is hardly worth it. I wish I had never bought the FRPP handling pack. I regret it every day.

Start with a set of Strange 10 way adjustable shocks and struts. these will give you the ultimate in flexability, since you can adjust for any type of driving you wish to do.

Springs. This is where alot of people get twisted up. when you LOWER a car, specifically a mustang. you KILL the straight line performance. The stock springs are actually really nice pieces. If you want good handling, AND good track times, get one of the FRPP performance spring sets that do not lower the car. Specifically, the 95 Cobra R springs. (I think FRPP still lists them)

Swaybars. Addco makes some NICE pieces. I have a drag suspension in my car now, but I also run a set of beefy addco sway bars. My car handles great, and still has the right weight transfer to get the car to hook every time.

Bushings. The sooner you swap to a full Energy Suspension poly bushing kit, the better!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM
RedStang92

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
buying a suspension "kit" and getting the cheaper stuff, is hardly worth it. I wish I had never bought the FRPP handling pack. I regret it every day.

Start with a set of Strange 10 way adjustable shocks and struts. these will give you the ultimate in flexability, since you can adjust for any type of driving you wish to do.

Springs. This is where alot of people get twisted up. when you LOWER a car, specifically a mustang. you KILL the straight line performance. The stock springs are actually really nice pieces. If you want good handling, AND good track times, get one of the FRPP performance spring sets that do not lower the car. Specifically, the 95 Cobra R springs. (I think FRPP still lists them)

Swaybars. Addco makes some NICE pieces. I have a drag suspension in my car now, but I also run a set of beefy addco sway bars. My car handles great, and still has the right weight transfer to get the car to hook every time.

Bushings. The sooner you swap to a full Energy Suspension poly bushing kit, the better!
thanks bro for the info, ill look into it