5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

deciding headers and mid pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

Question deciding headers and mid pipe

so i'm pretty sure i'm going to finish out my exhaust system this summer. i already have flowmaster cat back on there but i want to replace the existing stock headers and mid pipe. however, after looking around for a bit i have come to a conclusion. i have no idea what i fully want to put on there. so the question for you all to help me answer is what should i do? should i do shorty or full length headers? if so, x or h pipe off road or with cats? and the final statements. i want a nice set up that goes well with my flowmaster cat back that will increase my breathing and give a little more power. i don't have the biggest wallet around. please let me know what you think. thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Long tubes will make more power than shorties. You may want to check your local laws before installing a offroad pipe. Shorties will make the car easier to work on .
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

depends on your current mods vs your budget, but I like the x-pipe and lt's
Old 05-27-2009, 12:54 AM
89MustangGT89
1st Gear Member

I have bbk shortie headers and bbk h-pipe on my 89 gt.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 AM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

well i'm pretty sure in WA i still need smog testing until my car is 25 years old. so i don't know if with an off road pipe i could pass inspection or not. i've thought about doing long tubes for the more power, but how would shorties make it easier to work on, if i did equal length shorties it seems to take up more space? how would BBK compare to other brands? pipes are pipes right?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:20 AM
89MustangGT89
1st Gear Member

That sucks here in NY you dont need smog test after 20 years. I heard unequal headers are easier to install than equal. And that long tubes are the hardest. I have unequal
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

If you're going to stick with shorty headers just get regular unequal length ones. BBK makes quality headers.

Originally Posted by 89MustangGT89
That sucks here in NY you dont need smog test after 20 years. I heard unequal headers are easier to install than equal. And that long tubes are the hardest. I have unequal
NY has never done smog testing on any car I've ever seen...
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I live in VA and I don't have to pass any smog testing with my car but we have to get a state inspection every year and they check to see if you have cats.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
sitruk
1st Gear Member

haha the funny thing is ford tough is that my parents are actually moving to VA this summer, so if i were to register my car over there it seems that i wouldn't need the smog test according to what you said. not sure how long tubes would be hard to install. i have a lift and everything i can use to get under my car so that part wouldn't be hard. just curious why you guys would say to do unequal shorties if i did shorts, isn't equal better because it evens out the exhaust pressure and would give equal performance for each cylinder?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

yea, equals are better. but the majority of the people on this forum are afraid of a little hard work.

Apparently unbolting your engine mounts, and jacking up your engine is "too hard"

Quick Reply: deciding headers and mid pipe