5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A/C compressor installation

Old 05-29-2009, 06:30 PM
My50

Default A/C compressor installation

I have a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0. Its my baby and I'm trying to do everything I can to keep her in good shape.

My A/C compressor went out, but the mechanic wants $900-$1100 to fix it. I can't see paying a mechanic that much money for a $200 part, especially when he said he would have the car ready in an hour or so (once the part arrived). Thats roughly $700/hr!!!!

My main question is does anyone know of a diagram or manual that explains how to install the A/C compressor? Does anyone have any advice before I start this project? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Well, if there is freon in the system, you need to be able to recover it. A machine I'm sure you don't own. Get some other pricing. The compressor change itself is not that hard. You will need a new accumulator and an orifice tube depending on what caused the compressor to go out. Then if you manage to replace those parts, you'll need to be able to evacuate and recharge the system correctly. More tools I'm sure you don't have. No maybe you can understand some of the pricing. Shops are in business to make money. They don't necessarily rip you off.

Basically, if you have no idea what you are doing, have a qualified shop do it. It's not like doing an oil change.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

You are not qualified to do such a repair and I doubt the mechanic said it'd be ready in an hour for one as Pro50sc states the system must be evacuated then once the system has been open to atmosphere the desecant bag in the reciever dryer is kaput quickly, so you'll need a new reciver dryer and if compressor failure was internal than the whole system including condensor and evaporator must be flushed very well , so you have materials for that and o-rings on system should be also replaced for proper seal after that new orifice line should be installed then system put back together then system must be drawn into a vaccum for at least 45 min to remove any moisture from flush not removed and if you don't do that kiss the new compressor goodbye......after all that the proper amount of oil and 134a must be added, AND SYSYTEM run and discharge temp checked....this is the proper way to repair the system or failure will occur again, most a/c jobs as such run 700-900 beans, I'm sure you are exaggerating or misunderstanding what your mechanic said!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

I think a lot of people think its an easy do it your self fix because of these "freon" kits you can buy in the store for 40 bucks.I here this rip off stuff from customers frequently because its one of my trades.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

THOSE FREON KITS are just to top off a system that is low, if the customers that buy those were actually to read and heavan forbid they do that/ read further on in the instructions it often states for a/c repairs take to a qualified mech, and I don't even know why they can even sell that stuff to the general public since Government has the clamps on all SHOPS to recover/reclaim/recycle any and all freon in a/c systems, yet it's fine if Joe blow runs around his back yard squirting the freon kit in the air like a can of confetti then pushes the shreador valve and dumps any left over freon into the air.........I had to be certified to work on a/c systems here, and Joe blow can walk in,off the street and buy the crap at WALLY MART for 7.99?? WTF??, THEN come back to my shop and call me a rip off???
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

I here it all the time buddy,I have no idea how they can sell this in a common store,when I need a special licence to buy it from one of our suppliers.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ahh no worry, just venting
Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

Well its better to do it here than beatin the wife and kickin the dog down the stairs,LOL
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
My50

Thank you all. I appreciate it. The first reply I'm not sure what your deal is. I'm here for help thats why I'm asking, but I now DO understand its not an easy job. Its just frustrating not being able to do this myself and HAVE to pay someone to do it. Is it possible on my year and model ( 1994 Mustang GT 5.0L) to run an A/C delete? It personally doesn't get hot enough to run my A/C so I can live with out it.

I guess a good question is suppose I can run an A/C delete, is that going to be any easier?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 AM
My50

I'm not trying to step on any toes here at all. I was just laid off from work thanks to our wonderful economy. So when I hear $900 and I go home hop on a forum and complain that is my way of venting and trying to find a better route about handling the situation. So to the mechanics that have read this I apologize.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C compressor installation