5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

horn and cruise control problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM
black_89gt
3rd Gear Member

Default horn and cruise control problems

its been almost a year now since these two problems first occurred, but i havent had a need to fix them until now. what happened was when i was driving hove one day with the cruise control on and just in the middle of the drive it cut off and didnt work ever since. i dont know when the horn stopped working, maybe same time, maybe not. i never use my horn so i dont know. i checked the fuses, it isnt the fuses, they're all good. does anyone have a suggestion for me to do to fix it?

sorry if this isnt in the right spot. but it seems more than a general discussion topic. move it if need be.

thanks guys
Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

YOUR FINE...your question is tech related..........for the horn if it is on your 89, more often than not the horn pads on those suckers went bad but it was often due to deteriorated foam and they'd blare all te time, yours doesn't work period so first thing I'd do is go out to the horn itself and have someone push horn button while with a test light you check for power........as for cruise you'll need a wiring diagram and go point to point in the system, it could be as simple as a brake light switch or even a speed sensor down on the tranny but it could be other things to, you'll need the diagram of that system as well and go point to point checking things.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
YOUR FINE...your question is tech related..........for the horn if it is on your 89, more often than not the horn pads on those suckers went bad but it was often due to deteriorated foam and they'd blare all te time, yours doesn't work period so first thing I'd do is go out to the horn itself and have someone push horn button while with a test light you check for power........as for cruise you'll need a wiring diagram and go point to point in the system, it could be as simple as a brake light switch or even a speed sensor down on the tranny but it could be other things to, you'll need the diagram of that system as well and go point to point checking things.
The mustang I am working on right now has the same problem (Both horn and CC not working). It is my sisters BF's car and he does not know much about the car from the PO's perspective. I am hoping it is just that the horn is bad (Been replacing the heater core and this is second on the list), but I figured that would be easy to check. Just looking for voltage or no voltage.

When checking the CC system, what voltage/amperage should I be looking for along the electrical path??? Is it a voltage or nothing, or is there a certain amount of voltage that the sytem needs to work?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

from my past experience the c/c and horn is in unison my brother also had the same prob and it turned out that a penny fell into the cigarette lighter
Old 07-28-2009, 11:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there are various components that operate the cruise control, you'll need a description/operation understanding of the system first, some things operate via grounds others current triggered.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
The Stang Mang
1st Gear Member

You sure it's not the fuses?
The horn on my car used to randomly go off, and get stuck on with the slightest ammount of pressure. So i just took the fuse out for a simple fix.
And since then the CC hasn't worked, i haven't looked into it but i just assumed it was the fuse.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I have experienced the penny issue in the cig lighter as well, and it is covered on tha end. I took the couresty light fuse out, and placed the other fuse there to check the fuse.

When I tap the horn I can hear an electrical clicking sound like a circuit closing. I am leaving here shortly to get a 9 volt battery (I manage to never turn an electrical meter off after using it), but will be testing that when I get back from work.

mjr46, I have been looking for a good diagram of the system, but the only thread I found anything mentioned, the picture was no longer hosted. I know there is a vacuum canister like device in the drivers side fender, but have no understanding of how the system works, other then the VSS sends info to the computer, and the cable on the Throttle body adjusts the speed through more throttle. If you know of a good educational link I would be greatful, as I have no idea how the vacuum plays a role, other the guessing it is measuring the load on the engine somehow....
Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
from my past experience the c/c and horn is in unison my brother also had the same prob and it turned out that a penny fell into the cigarette lighter
My wife dropped a penny into her Rav 4 horn button so everytime she turned the damn horn blow.I got a good laugh out of it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Well, after reading some other threads I found that another issue can be the buttons not making good contact. So I cleaned them a little before going for a battery. On the way back I decided to pull up on the brake pedal and try the CC at the same time, and to my suprise it worked.....

Now I just need to find out how the brake pedal kills the CC and adjust it......