5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will My Car Be Okay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Default Will My Car Be Okay?

I just enlisted and my car will be sitting for 9 weeks of basic and then it might get driven for a bit and then it'll sit for another 16 weeks. After that I don't know where I'll be stationed, and whether or not I'll be trying to get my car to my duty station.

Should I just sell my car?

The Technical side of this question is that I'm wondering whether or not all the soft parts and what not will hold up with all the non-use.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ya it will be fine. just fill the tank and throw some stabil in there and put it up on jack stands so ur tires dont get flat spots.

there is no need to sell it
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
ya it will be fine. just fill the tank and throw some stabil in there and put it up on jack stands so ur tires dont get flat spots.

there is no need to sell it
Alright Cool, I just don't want to start it up whenever I get back on leave and have it fall apart and leak like a colander
Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

It will be fine, my car stat on jack stands 8 months lol without going anywhere an was good.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

It should be fine, can't count on what rodents will do though. I would leave my cars when I went on deployments (up to 6 months) when I was in the Navy, and never had any problems other than parking my black T-bird in front of a well water sprinkler for 3 months in the Florida summer heat. Killed the paint!

I also want to thank you for your dedication and service to our great country. Two bits of advise that made my 10 year service very successful: 1) Don't ever lose your integrity. If you screw up, own up to it. 2) Always do the right thing, no matter how hard or crappy the job may be. Bitching will get nowhere.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:00 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Your tires won't get "flat spots", you don't need to put it on stands. Like was said fill the tank up and put some Stabil in and it will be fine.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

To all the confirmations that my car will hold up, thank you.

Originally Posted by PJC Racing
I also want to thank you for your dedication and service to our great country. Two bits of advise that made my 10 year service very successful: 1) Don't ever lose your integrity. If you screw up, own up to it. 2) Always do the right thing, no matter how hard or crappy the job may be. Bitching will get nowhere.
Thank you for the advice and your service as well, I'll definitely keep that in mind throughout my years in.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

are you leaving in a garage or outside? if outside DO NOT leave it on grass or dirt as it is very bad for the undercarriage (rust/rot). leave it on pavement and buy a car cover to protect the paint and from others knowing what is just sitting there
Old 06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
JD5.0stang
1st Gear Member

should be fine. get a good quality car cover and cover it up. then put a blue tarp over that to keep water out. put it on jack stands and maybe stuff a couple rags in the exhaust to keep mice out. if possible park it on a paved surface. grass and dirt speed up rusting alot.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
are you leaving in a garage or outside? if outside DO NOT leave it on grass or dirt as it is very bad for the undercarriage (rust/rot). leave it on pavement and buy a car cover to protect the paint and from others knowing what is just sitting there
It should be parked in my garage unless my old man decides to put it in the driveway, but I think he'll leave it be. Hopefully.

Quick Reply: Will My Car Be Okay?