5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ok, so checked everything again today, the vac line wasnt bad after all, I thought it had a hole in it, I sprayed the line with carb cleaner, no pick up in idle... turns out what Ithought was a hole (sorta getting dark when I was looking at it in the parking lot at work) was a blob of crud that in the poor lighting looked like a hole, if that makes sense to you guys

I have yet to check the EGR, but I heard if you unplug it, the ECM deletes its function? if so, then hell, I'll take it off...

cleaned the MAF and the IAC, the TPS is a few months old, when I last had a problem with it, I replaced it and the problem disappeared. no improvement.

also when its a cold start, the car will stall out, you crank it again, and give it gas it will sluggishly come to life.

its also been incredibly rainy and crappy out lately? dunno if that can have any impact? I checked the dizzy and there is no condensation or corrosion under the cap...

could I have bad 02 sensors? Ive never replaced them or even touched them since Ive had the car...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

best bet....pull codes.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
best bet....pull codes.
I'll have to give it a try when I get time...
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 PM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

It really sounds like a egr problem my car had all those same symptoms and it was the egr valve I tried everything to fix and nothing worked so I called up my cousin who is a mechanic and we found out the problem was the egr valve
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boonedj
It really sounds like a egr problem my car had all those same symptoms and it was the egr valve I tried everything to fix and nothing worked so I called up my cousin who is a mechanic and we found out the problem was the egr valve
would I just disconnect it/block it off or should I just pick up a new one from the autoparts store?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
would I just disconnect it/block it off or should I just pick up a new one from the autoparts store?
i would replace it they are like 15 bucks at autozone and make sure its conected right and the hoses are in good shape
Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Uhh, EGR valves are over $100 usually.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

the valve are over 100 dollars. the evp is only 13 bucks.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
ok, so checked everything again today, the vac line wasnt bad after all, I thought it had a hole in it, I sprayed the line with carb cleaner, no pick up in idle... turns out what Ithought was a hole (sorta getting dark when I was looking at it in the parking lot at work) was a blob of crud that in the poor lighting looked like a hole, if that makes sense to you guys

I have yet to check the EGR, but I heard if you unplug it, the ECM deletes its function? if so, then hell, I'll take it off...

cleaned the MAF and the IAC, the TPS is a few months old, when I last had a problem with it, I replaced it and the problem disappeared. no improvement.

also when its a cold start, the car will stall out, you crank it again, and give it gas it will sluggishly come to life.

its also been incredibly rainy and crappy out lately? dunno if that can have any impact? I checked the dizzy and there is no condensation or corrosion under the cap...

could I have bad 02 sensors? Ive never replaced them or even touched them since Ive had the car...
When you do get it running, does it ping really bad at all? That's another symptom of a bad EGR system.

Also, a preliminary check of the EGR is to test if the diaphragm responds to a vacuum. Take off the small vacuum hose attached to it, then attach a vacuum pump to the nipple on the valve and apply vacuum when the engine is running. It should stutter or stall (I don't know if you can even get it to idle or tell if it would be stuttering the way it is now). If you do not have a vacuum pump, then attach a vacuum hose to the nipple and suck on the hose with your mouth. It may take a few sucks of air to get any response. I just plugged the hose with my tongue while I took my breaths. If it dies, then the valve itself is probably not the problem.

Also, when everything is connected again, you can watch the diaphragm on the egr valve when you rev the engine (pull on the throttle cable). It should move up when you reach a certain rpm. That would also mean its probably not the valve.