5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Supercharger advice (the other stuff needed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
knockout18
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger advice (the other stuff needed)

I picked up a new V3 Vortec Supercharger to go with a new Cobra upper and lower intake with a set of BBK shorty headers.

I have a stock 1990 5.0L with 16k original miles.

Any one have any advice as for fuel requirements and injector sizes, etc.

Also any input on anything else I would need. I would to get all the pieces together before I start working on the car.

I picked up a new blaster coil and wires and I have a friend who has a new 65MM throttle body (BBK)

One more thing, can you run underdrive pulleys with this sort of set-up without causing any problems.

thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

most all blowers require 42 injectors but some can get away with 30's. A 255 LPH fuel pump will prolly be a good idea too.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
knockout18
1st Gear Member

Thanks

I actually ordered a 255 LPH fuel pump (in tank), I guess I got that right. lol

Does anyone know what the stock injector size is.

This is one project I don't want to mess up. But I'm resisting the urge to get going right now.

Can the stock fuel rails handle the requirements.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

the rails should be able to handle it. i know a few people running almost 500 horse with stock rails/lines. the stock injectors are 19's, your going to want atleast 36's, i'd go with 42's just to be safe though. then a new maf to go with that. that should be good for the fuel requirements, although an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is always a good idea. Other than that you should be good. you are going to want a custom dyno tune when all this is done and running again though.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
knockout18
1st Gear Member

thanks ctgreddy,

I knew I was missing a few things, better to do it right the first time then to blow up the car and try to explain to the wife why I'm buying more stuff to fix my mistake.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knockout18

thanks ctgreddy,

I knew I was missing a few things, better to do it right the first time then to blow up the car and try to explain to the wife why I'm buying more stuff to fix my mistake.
lol. i've done that 3 times already. its not pretty, or cheap. thats just waht i'd think you'd need, may wanna wait for someone who is s/c'd to lend an opinion. as you may need things like an msd box or other fuel upgrades.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
knockout18
1st Gear Member

Smile

Over the next couple of days I'm going to make a full list of all the pieces.
I just found a FMU buried in the kit.

Great info, this is my first fuel injected project, I have a lot of respect for you guys and gals who've done this sort of thing already.

My other project has a Holley Carb, so you just dump in more fuel and dial it back when it gets too smokey. (well at least there is less chance of killing something, excluding the mosquito fogging)

I know I didn't plan for injectors, so that's definitely on the shopping list.

Keep all the feedback coming, it's very much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

You can run 30lb injectors with an FMU. However, the FMU needs to have the proper disc. If you bought the kit new, chances are the FMU is calibrated for the stock 19lb injectors. With your combo, the 19lb injectors will not suffice, unless you leave the motor mostly stock. Also, like everyone else mentioned, you will need a 255lph fuel pump(the stock one is rated at 88lph FYI). Also, the stock ignition does not need to be upgraded. You will need new spark plugs at least one heat range colder gapped to .025-.032. Autolite 3924 work great and so do the NGK tr6. Plus they are cheap. Have fun with boost. There is no better feeling!!!! Let me know if you have any ?'s.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
rando12

a wide band air fuel or just a plain air fuel are a good idea and a fuel pressure gauge is a must. Number one killer of blower motors is fuel problems. i have a supercharged car and my fuel press guage saved my butt a few times.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knockout18
I picked up a new V3 Vortec Supercharger to go with a new Cobra upper and lower intake with a set of BBK shorty headers.

I have a stock 1990 5.0L with 16k original miles.

Any one have any advice as for fuel requirements and injector sizes, etc.

Also any input on anything else I would need. I would to get all the pieces together before I start working on the car.

I picked up a new blaster coil and wires and I have a friend who has a new 65MM throttle body (BBK)

One more thing, can you run underdrive pulleys with this sort of set-up without causing any problems.

thanks
Hello, heres's my .02.....

I also have 1990 except mine had 104K when I put the blower on. My car also has a cobra upper/lower. The car ran great for about 6 months & then the head gasket went. I guess the original head gasket at 104K miles could only take so much boost (the car an avg of 8.5lbs-stock V2 pulley). The car is a weekend driver & I do not race it, I just drive it spiritedly from time to time. The first issue I had was the car ran a little hot, so I put an electric fan, alum radiator & a 160 stat (these worked great). Here are the supporting mods I went with.

1. 42 lb injectors w/no FMU (My tuner said the FMU was 80's technology-Tony from HP Performance in Jax, Fl tuned my car...he is in a ton of mags a very popular tuner in the mustang community)
2. A secondary in-line fuel pump (you upgrading your stock pump should be plenty)
3. As metioned above the cooling support mods (radiator, stat, electric fan)
4. Custom tune (DO NOT SKIP THIS)
5. I had eliminated my smog pump previously, so I had to get a different size belt, took some trial & error but I finally got it right.
6. Anderson Power Pipe, this is much nicer set up than the stock Vortech set-up.
7. C&L 76mm mass air which I pegged, so I needed a diablosport MAFIA.

I am about two weeks from replacing the head gasket. I am also adding new heads, rockers, & some minor things. So I am very exited to get her back on the road. Before she went down, she made 353HP & 387TRQ @ the wheels.

Good luck, if you need more info, PM me & I'll give you my cell. Like some have said, it's only money....LOL. Hope my info helped!

Mike

Quick Reply: Supercharger advice (the other stuff needed)